White labs Vs Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I've never used WL yeasts before, only Wyeast just because of the small price difference. Is one actually any better than the other?

I'll have to eventually try them out. btw how much time did it take in your secondary for the imperial you have bottled and what was your OG?

I used to be a strictly Wyeast user... But I have been trying Whitelabs recently.

I have decided that BOTH have strong points. both are quality products.

I do lean towards Wyeast, but If I can get the job done with white labs.. it becomes a matter of price and availability.

Many of the strains perform about the same, but you will find some that are of the same origin (see this chart from JZ) will be quite different, so it's worth trying both strains and seeing which one you like better. For instance, I have used London Ale WLP013 and Wyeast 1028. I settled on the 1028 as my house strain because it flocculates better than the White Labs.

I have used mainly Wyeast and I love them. One thing I like is the season special strains they produce. BTW I have it on good authority that the fall collection will have lager strains (non last year).

Tom

I'll have to eventually try them out. btw how much time did it take in your secondary for the imperial you have bottled and what was your OG?

My imperial IPA had an initial gravity of 1.071, my goal was 1.075. I kept it in secondary for 7 days with 4 ounces of a local mystery hops growing behind the town hall in Julian, ca (probably growing wild from some long lost mining era brewery). Final gravity when bottled was 1.017 with 101 estimated IBU.:mug:

Use whichever one you can get easily at your LHBS. If you can get both you are lucky!

The main difference is the packaging, really. I can only get Wyeast, but I do like the smack pack as it's a built in viability tester. That said, I would imagine viability is rarely an issue if either companies products are purchase from a reputable vendor with relatively high turnover.

Each company has some strands that are different from the other (Wyeast has Rogue's Pacman Yeast, White Labs has a proprietary saison yeast, for example), but still, you can make any style with each and make them all well.

Back