Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I will try and post some picks tonight.

I have 2 extract kits going right now.

they are both in a secondary's and are about 11 days in.

One is clearing nicely the other seems to have more trub on the bottom and white stuff floating on top. My concern is "contamination" at first this stuff looked like mold but this morning it looked more like foam. Without a pic can anyone take a guess as to what this maybe?

The clearing one is an american ale, the other a belgain tripple. Both morebeer kits.

:confused:

All of my infections have looked like a scummy film on top.

ex:
url

I think you are fine. Belgians are one beer that can foam up a bit easily. As long as it's not hairy or a scum like the above picture. You probably just disturbed the yeast and it's started up again. Did you taste it when you transferred?

I think you are fine. Belgians are one beer that can foam up a bit easily. As long as it's not hairy or a scum like the above picture. You probably just disturbed the yeast and it's started up again. Did you taste it when you transferred?

yes I did. Tasted ok. I looked around the site for posts on contamination. Seemed as though people get allot of crazy looking krausen. I swear this stuff looked like white mold soon after I siphoned it.

All of my infections have looked like a scummy film on top.

ex:
url

EEWWWWW!!!, It concerns me when you say . . . . "All my infections", I hope you have that sorted out, I've never had an infection after 4 years of brewing.:drunk:

Back