ideas needed for latest CL find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I found this ad on CL for a $20 dollar 15G sanke and went to get it. When I get there he wants me to take the rest of what he had for another $20. Now I have 1 15G, 2 5G, 1 7.5G and a Weihenstephaner sanke that is the same height as the 15G just slightly smaller in diameter( I'm not sure what size it is, but it was shiny) I cant help my self I like shiny. here is a pic. I need ideas for the shiny one and the 2-5G ones. Oh, he also gave me a Heffe handle and a Weihenstephaner handle you see in the pic. The 15G and the 7.5 are going to be converted to boil kettles. I might sell the 7.5.
DSCN2270.jpg

Boil kettle, hlt mash tun maybe (5g batches) and some some fermenters? maybe a heat exchanger

how would you use them for fermenters? Couldnt seal them after cutting and couldn't clean them without cutting. I already have another converted to a BK and plan on converting the 15G to MLT so I can sell my 50 QT ss pots and make all tuns the same. the weihen. keg I dont think is a full 1/2 barrel so I will have to heat water in 2 batches probably. That leave the 5G ones and the 7.5G to find a use for.

Do you have a kegging system? If you do, just buy a sanke tap and use those 5 gallon ones with that. The 7.5 gallon one would work great for making a brewing contrivance that's only legal in New Zealand.....

I agree with EvilTOJ, I'd use the 5 gallons for kegging batches.

The Weihenstephaner sanke should be around 13.2 gallons, still plenty big for a boil kettle conversion and would make a good HLT.

The 7.5 gallon keg looks to be a Weihenstephaner keg as well. Might not be "7.5" gallons...

Evil, I traded that contrivance for 2- 50 quart pots, false bottom, and valves. I still have 3 gallons of 95% fire. I'm closer to the mental illness;)
MMB yes thats what I planned on for the Weih. keg. As for the 5 gall you must mean trade ins for serving commercial brew, because you can't open them to clean them.

biggest boil kettle, next biggest mash tun, pony keg/7.5gallon, etc HLT. Just mash with 1.5 qt/lb and use plenty of 5.2 and baby that sparge.

Back