Help w/ wiring (so I don't die)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
I am working on a control panel for a 120v 2000w heating element and pump. I took a stab at the wiring but am not confident in it all...
Also, are IEC receptacles what I am looking for to be able to plug extension cords from the power outlets to the control box?

controlpaneldiagram.jpg

No, that diagram isn't any good. I am using my phone, so I can't draw you a suitable diagram, but I might be able to describe it.

I am going to refer to wires by the standard colors that are used in 120V service.

Pump side:
Three lines come in, green (ground), white (neutral), and black (hot). green and white can go straight to the pump receptacle. Black passes through switch before going to receptacle.

Element side:
Same three wires in. Again, white and green go straight to the receptacle. Black connects to ssr. Black comes back out of ssr and to switch. Then out of switch to receptacle.

Incoming black and white also connect to PID and control lines from pid go to ssr (this part you had right).

Two things to note:

In regards to extension cord sizing since you look like you will need one/two. For a 20amp circuit with a short run you are likely good on a 12/3 cable. But if you are running 50-100', nearing 20amps and plan of running your element for +5-6 hours ... do yourself the favor and step up to a 10-3 welding extension cord. You will find that your element gets the current it needs and can thusly operate more efficiently.

In terms of the overall design ... and I don't want to tell people what to do (though I am about to :D) as I have seen many many schematics like yours; BUT, I am not a big fan of having one device plugged into and powered by (2) outlets. I have always hated working on systems where I could not de-energize the device from 1 location and KNOW with certainty that I was in control of the one and only method of energizing a system.

I don't want to tangent the thread and hope you come back with further question; but, for the sake of innovation and safety thats my 2 cents on overall electrical rig design.

Wire On! Buy a Multi-Meter and RDWHAHB!

Thank you for the feedback.
How is this revised diagram?
Do I need fuses?
controlpaneldiagram2.jpg

Is your pump thermally protected? if so, don't worry about fusing it. If it's not thermally protected, it would be best to fuse (or breaker) it.

BUT, I am not a big fan of having one device plugged into and powered by (2) outlets.

I would normally agree, BUT neither of those outlets are large enough to handle both loads.

It looks to be an unsafe design in my non professional opinion. I also don't like having 2 sources of power. What if you are being zapped and you have two switches or plugs to pull to save yourself a trip to the hospital or worse. Also if I am reading your diagram correctly you have the GFI's at the end of the circuit just before the pump & element, instead of at the other end. Your PID is not fused. Also are those switches with pilot lamps? If so they are not wired to light up. For the less than $5 I'd fuse both the PID & pump .

I appreciate the input and feedback. I will try to think of another option.

Question: What type of wire do I need for inside the box, for the PID, SSR, Receptacles, Switches?

Wberry noted for a short run from the power source (GFCIs) to the control box I will need 12/3 for short runs. Do I use the same wire for inside the box to connect the components?

Thanks.

Yeah I like the MTW because it's stranded and works well if you are doing crimps, lugs, soldering, screw terminals, cage clamps ... Etc. But you won't be burned by using solid core THHN.

Should I have the switch for the element before the SSR?
Do I need 20 amp 120v switches like this?

Back