Question Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jua164

Reaction score
How long can I leave the beer in the Secondary Fermenter (Bucket) before I have to keg it, without it going off.
I went mad with my brewing and I have 2 batches of beer that will be ready for kegging this Saturday (They have been in the secondary for 2 weeks). The problem is I have run out of kegs.

Simple reply:As long as you want. Once you have racked into a secondary you can put it away for as long as you want.

Generally, you can keep it in secondary as long as you'd like - as death said above. A barleywine for example might benefit very much from bulk aging 6-12 months, who knows...

However, be careful if you try to go like 6 month+ in a plastic bucket (i see thats what you are using). Although they shouldn't be too O2 permeable, they are probably more O2 permeable than an airlocked glass secondary, a pressurized/sealed keg, etc.

Back