Anyone use WLP001 for an ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
........and if so, how did it turn out? I can't get my hands on WLP002 so I thought about substituting with 001 which I have in my fridge. TIA

I personally have only brewed an ESB with 007, but I don't see why 001 wouldn't work. You probably would have more of the hop flavor come through with the 001

I personally have only brewed an ESB with 007, but I don't see why 001 wouldn't work. You probably would have more of the hop flavor come through with the 001

To be honest, it's going to be hop-forward with EKG. Kind of like the American version of a pale ale (APA). Perhaps the 001 makes sense?

No. It will have a lot of late addition hops (only EKG) but still have about 45 IBUs

Actually just cracked my first ESB using washed wyeast 1056 (same strain as wlp001 right?), and it was deliciously malty and tasted surprisingly like an ESB. Brew it up!

Actually just cracked my first ESB using washed wyeast 1056 (same strain as wlp001 right?), and it was deliciously malty and tasted surprisingly like an ESB. Brew it up!

I think I shall. I'll brew it up with my wlp001 on Thursday of this week. But I think I need to rethink my hop schedule as it could end up being too hop forward. I have the EKGs going in at 60, 20, 10, 5 and flame-out. Hmmmmm

I used 1.5 oz @60, 1oz @ 5 and another 1.5 @ 0, all US northern brewer (first time using NB) and the only change I'd make is only 1 oz for bittering to get more into the style guidelines, but I like hops so I think it's great a tad bitter. Or maybe should have moved the 5 min to 15 or 10 min for some more flavor. Hope that helps you a little, EKG are a great hop so whatever you decide will be good

Back