is everything ok? im not sure.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiongrimm

Reaction score
i just brewed my first batch about a week ago, an American Amber Ale, and everything was going ok, alot of action in the airlock, alot of bubbles on the surface, it even started giving off a rather pungent aroma. up until last night that is. i know the room the carboy is kept in should usually be kept at roughly 68 degrees fahrenheit and last night due to me forgetting to turn on my heater, it dropped to between 45 and 50. this morning there is significantly less bubbles on the surface of the beer(dropping from the 6 inches it was before to roughly an inch now), there is little to no smell now, and the airlock is releasing a bubble every 15-20 seconds, rather than the 2 per second it was at before. is everything ok?

It will be just fine. It slows down a bit, but that isn't all bad. It is better to keep it cooler than warmer. Cool temps won't produce any off flavors, while warm will.

Back