Movie: Kick ASS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Funnier than Super Bad, gorier than Driving Miss Daisy, action scenes almost not be believed would be found in an overall "comedy", including the single most BAD ASS simultaneous reloading of 2 handguns in CINEMATIC HISTORY.......

This movie is a must see for ANYONE.

Kick ass is not a spoof, but the characters acknowledge Spider Man, Bat Man etc. as part of culture in a world where there are no superhuman heros.

Believeable (for the most part) well acted, (Nicholas cage being the only slight disapointment but he has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay downhill....poor guy) Pee in your pants funny..

SPOILER

Kick Ass - "How do I find you"

10 year old Hit girl - "Call the mayor's office, he has this special light that he shines in the sky to communicate with us. It's in the shape of a giant cock"

Kick Ass - Stares dumbly for a full 5 seconds before realizing that she is effing with him...;)

If you can dig an adorable 10 year old girl making Jet Li look like a p()ssy, and you can handle it when she freaking kills the **** out of people, I mean hacked limbs and blood spraying, and then makes Daniel Craig look inept as she uses stealth and an array of weapons to kill the EFF out of LOTS of grown men, all the while with a mouth that would get Harry Potter banished from Hogwarts.......then you should be really pleased with this movie.

*please! I know that 2003 wants it's movie back I already talked to It.*

As far as recent Nick Cage movies go I thought it was one of the better ones.

I like him. Sure wish he would go less crazy.

It is a classic.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World has recently been on TV a lot, and every time I see it I am reminded of the awesome film that is Kick Ass.

I really dug this movie when I first saw it - in the theater back when it was released! ;)

My favorite part of the movie was Hit Girl's first real fight scene. There was just something about the dissonance of the music that was playing (very happy go lucky, kids music) and the extreme amount of violence that kid was laying down on the bad guys... I couldn't help but laugh at it.

I sure hope that's what the director was going for there. If not, I kinda don't want to think about what that says about me... Yikes!

This was a classic. We had no idea
What the movie was about but decided to watch it because of Cage. We were blown away!

I really dug this movie when I first saw it - in the theater back when it was released! ;)

My favorite part of the movie was Hit Girl's first real fight scene. There was just something about the dissonance of the music that was playing (very happy go lucky, kids music) and the extreme amount of violence that kid was laying down on the bad guys... I couldn't help but laugh at it.

I sure hope that's what the director was going for there. If not, I kinda don't want to think about what that says about me... Yikes!

SPOILERISH....DON'T READ SHARONZ!!!!!!!!!!
I think you are right on. La la la, lalalala, whatever, lol. Awesome. Too classic. Love how she rests her saber by just shovinging it into the guy she just killed, so she can get out her butterfly whatever knife and unload on doodybag #4.

In the Netflix Q for tonight.

You have been warned! And the "making jet li look like a P*** "was a slight exaggeration, but if a bookie gave her a point spread for being 10, she would blow it out of the water.

This was a classic. We had no idea
What the movie was about but decided to watch it because of Cage. We were blown away!

Right on! happy accident.

I used to be die hard Cage when he was making stuff like Raising Arizona, but his doodybag action star **** sucks, his wanna be Indiana Jones **** sucks, he was lame in this movie. He was too wishy washy "Girl you throw me for a loop har har!" to be believeable, I thought.

As far as recent Nick Cage movies go I thought it was one of the better ones.

I like him. Sure wish he would go less crazy.
Yeah usually I don't have many good things to say about him but he was great in Kick Ass. Loved the Adam West style.

It is a classic.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World has recently been on TV a lot, and every time I see it I am reminded of the awesome film that is Kick Ass.

I feel like Kick Ass has indeed turned into a cult classic. Same with Scott Pilgrim, but I probably only think that because I love the comics.

Yeah usually I don't have many good things to say about him but he was great in Kick Ass. Loved the Adam West style.

I feel like Kick Ass has indeed turned into a cult classic. Same with Scott Pilgrim, but I probably only think that because I love the comics.

I still need to read the comic.

How close does the movie follow it?

How close does the movie follow it?

For what they kept in it's very close. There's a lot of in-between-exes stuff that gets cut out (i.e. in the comics I'm pretty dang sure they date for a total of about 8 months because seasons change, whereas in the movie it's like they're dating for 2 weeks) but they stay very true to the action and the lines.

However, the ending is very very different in the book, as are the hints and lead-up towards it (another thing that was cut out of the movie.... but would take way too long to lead-up towards like it does in the books.)

But I have to say the movie really is an awesome tribute to the comics. The music is amazing since it's done by Beck and they are actual lyrics from the comics.... I still listen to the soundtrack all the time. And Edgar Wright was the perfect director (of Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame.)

But I have to say the movie really is an awesome tribute to the comics. The music is amazing since it's done by Beck and they are actual lyrics from the comics.... I still listen to the soundtrack all the time. And Edgar Wright was the perfect director (of Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame.)

...WOW. What is this thing? Scott Pilgrim? Needs checking out.

My family loved Scott Pilgrim movie. Funny and has a cool style to it. And the love interest chick is pretty hot as well. (She was the cheerleader in Death Proof movie.)

See what No commercials in life gets you?;)

I Never heard of it.

If it isn't on Netflix and my friends don't talk about it, I don't hear about it.

Maybe we need an ongoing "current films worth watching" thread.

My family loved Scott Pilgrim movie. Funny and has a cool style to it. And the love interest chick is pretty hot as well. (She was the cheerleader in Death Proof movie.)

That she is.

Best fight scene EVER!

BTW, the song is called Tra-La-La.... it was the theme to the 60s kids show, Banana Splits. This version is by The Dickies

Last edited by a moderator:
Got so much crap for recommending this movie to my friends. They swore up and down it was going to be sooooo rediculous and stupid. All of them watched it and then quickly apologized to me and my awesomeness as for as recommendations are concerned. Definatly in my top ten!!!!

Best fight scene EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjN561qE4Gs

BTW, the song is called Tra-La-La.... it was the theme to the 60s kids show, Banana Splits. This version is by The Dickies

There are two distinct times in my cinematic viewing history that I have literally stood up in the theatre, threw my fists in the air, and yelled "WOO!!!" The first was at the end of 'Deathproof' when, after 30 minutes of the most intense (real action, no CG) car chase ever, Kurt Russel gets his face stomped in and it just flashes "THE END".... and after Hit Girl's fight scene.

Nobody behind me was even upset that I did :D

EDIT: Big Daddy's fight scene in the warehouse was pretty damn sick, too!

There are two distinct times in my cinematic viewing history that I have literally stood up in the theatre, threw my fists in the air, and yelled "WOO!!!" The first was at the end of 'Deathproof' when, after 30 minutes of the most intense (real action, no CG) car chase ever, Kurt Russel gets his face stomped in and it just flashes "THE END".... and after Hit Girl's fight scene.

Nobody behind me was even upset that I did :D

EDIT: Big Daddy's fight scene in the warehouse was pretty damn sick, too!

Lol in the theatre??? I am going to stand up and give you a "WOOO" right now....(cause you rule)

there......I feel much better.;)

Deathproof was pretty cool.

Lol in the theatre??? I am going to stand up and give you a "WOOO" right now....(cause you rule)

there......I feel much better.;)

Deathproof was pretty cool.

Well thank you for the "WOO"

And yeah, 'Grindhouse' was something that had to be seen in theatres. 'Planet Terror' was crazy awesome ridiculous over-the-top action with some sweet cameos, followed by pee-your-pants hilarious fake trailers ("DON'T!!!") and then 'Deathproof' hits..... and as in common with Tarantino flicks it slows down to heavy dialog, which could be off-putting to some (I heard a couple of people in the theatre complain about the sudden change from action to dialog)... but the dialog is genius, of course.

But then everything picks up to explosive levels during the car scene. Seriously, that was the most intense and impressive car chase of any film ever made and they did it single-shot with real stunt people. Even though it had not even half the action and fan-fare of Planet Terror, it was the better of the two in my most humble opinion.

Hot damn, I love cult classics.

Well thank you for the "WOO"

And yeah, 'Grindhouse' was something that had to be seen in theatres. 'Planet Terror' was crazy awesome ridiculous over-the-top action with some sweet cameos, followed by pee-your-pants hilarious fake trailers ("DON'T!!!") and then 'Deathproof' hits..... and as in common with Tarantino flicks it slows down to heavy dialog, which could be off-putting to some (I heard a couple of people in the theatre complain about the sudden change from action to dialog)... but the dialog is genius, of course.

But then everything picks up to explosive levels during the car scene. Seriously, that was the most intense and impressive car chase of any film ever made and they did it single-shot with real stunt people. Even though it had not even half the action and fan-fare of Planet Terror, it was the better of the two in my most humble opinion.

Hot damn, I love cult classics.

writing this down........planet.....terror..........mmmhmm...Ok. THANKS!

writing this down........planet.....terror..........mmmhmm...Ok. THANKS!

Quite welcome. Yeah, I don't know which DVD comes with the little fake trailers since 'Planet Terror' and 'Deathproof' are sold separately and, sadly, not in a theatrical 'Grindhouse' package but they're excellent on their own. Also, one of the fake trailers eventually became a movie due to popular demand ("Machete")

Cool thing is that they were trying to imitate an actual 1970's Grindhouse-style experience, so Planet Terror is edited to look like it's on an old film reel: kinda grainy, the frame skips and shifts every now and then.... it's a very cool experience.

Plus, Planet Terror has her:

planet_terror_poster1.jpg

Actually, you CAN get the theatrical release... I got it on Blu-ray for xmas. :mug:

Quite welcome. Yeah, I don't know which DVD comes with the little fake trailers since 'Planet Terror' and 'Deathproof' are sold separately and, sadly, not in a theatrical 'Grindhouse' package but they're excellent on their own.

Loved the sex scene in that movie.

Oh wait, I mean the portion of the movie that gets eaten by the projector (just happens to be the sex scene. You can hear people laughing about it in the background, just like if you at the movies!)

I always thought it was lame they didn't offer the double feature on DVD, but now I understand... They wanted people to buy a second copy when they offered it on BD! I think that's called a Lucas Move.

Loved the sex scene in that movie.

Oh wait, I mean the portion of the movie that gets eaten by the projector (just happens to be the sex scene. You can hear people laughing about it in the background, just like if you at the movies!)

I always thought it was lame they didn't offer the double feature on DVD, but now I understand... They wanted people to buy a second copy when they offered it on BD! I think that's called a Lucas Move.

Lol, after ol George the ******?

I bought mine when they were on sale for like $5.

Super awesome movies IMO. Wife won't watch them.

Lucky for me SWMBO loves cult classics and weird movies. The first thing she ever bought me was a sweet-ass Grindhouse poster.

I don't think we've ever seen a "chick flick" in theatres. She prefers romantic movies that aren't the same cookie cutter crap.... she likes stuff like 500 Days of Summer or Almost Famous.

Back