Help with propane plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay then maybe you can answer this question for me... I plan on using the low-pressure 10" hurrincane burner set up, mounted in your mounts, but do not really want to use the combo orifice/valve units sold by williams or brewers harware. I would much rather use a needle valve, like the one you have pictured earlir in the thread, for flame control. But when i search for low-pressure huricane burner orifice google come up with nothing. Any idea where i might find these things?

I'll add a few orifices to the package, that way you can afford an oops

I've seen the solder suggestion before and I'm a doubter... the burners get mighty hot

OneHoppyGuy said:
I'll add a few orifices to the package, that way you can afford an oops

I've seen the solder suggestion before and I'm a doubter... the burners get mighty hot

Well thank you very much sir. So I am right when assuming that the only two options are drill out a high pressure orifice or the combo jobs that I'm not so fond of. Good to know.

I guess I am also still a little confused. From tank to regulator. From regulator to all three needle valves. Do I need an orifice at each burner between the valve and the burner? Or do I use one orifice after the regulator at the beginning of the manifold?

I guess I am also still a little confused. From tank to regulator. From regulator to all three needle valves. Do I need an orifice at each burner between the valve and the burner? Or do I use one orifice after the regulator at the beginning of the manifold?

Did you figure out your questions? I am building my propane single tier now and have a few threads about the plumbing if you search around.

You need one orifice for each burner, at the burner.

The answer is: yes.
We are unique in that we build custom equipment. Almost every stand we build is to spec. So, whether it's high pressure, low pressure, electric, direct fire, RIMS, HERMS... we do it
We work with the customer to build just what they are looking for. That's why you won't find 2 identical stands in our photo gallery.

When you build a High Pressure system what type of hose do you generally run from the valve to the burner? (Assuming the valve is a ball or needle valve.)

The reason I ask is that I'm finding the yellow flex line connecting the valve to the burner, most commonly pictured on rigs, is only rated at 5 PSI. Is this dangerous?

(I've got two banjo burners and a high pressure regulator. My current flow is: Tank, regulator, high pressure rubber hose to black pipe, black pipe to ball valve, ball valve to yellow coated stainless flex line to burner.)

Awesome thread guys. Hopefully somebody can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to setup an all 11"WC LP gas setup because I'm planning to do a Honeywell valve temperature controlled system. So far I've had countless problems with burners and gas flow and I'm a bit of a loss.

Stage 1:
High BTU LP regulator
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6TQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
6 foot hose to the manifold
1/2" black iron manifold
23 tip jet burner (made sure I got LP and not NG jet tips)

This put out lots of yellow flames that put soot on everything and started melting my steel. Clearly too much heat and not enough gas pressure.

Stage 2:
Same setup with a 10 tip jet burner (made sure I got LP and not NG jet tips)

This still put out lots of yellow flame and soot, but at least I'm not melting my steel anymore.

Stage 3:
6inch Bayou cast iron LP burner

Blue flames, but it takes an 45-60min to heat water for mash in and barely can maintain a boil.

Stage 4:
10 inch Bayou cast iron LP burner

Blue flames, but I don't get anymore heat.

Stage 5:
I decide there is too much drag in my manifold somewhere and go straight from my tank to the burner with a 3 foot hose.

Barely gets the fire lit. Somehow this is worse than before.

Clearly my regulator has crapped out somehow. Most of the discussion here is about high pressure, so I'm not sure what good setup for LP. Is de3isit using high pressure and using the valves to control flow to his Honeywells there? Did I just get unlucky and buy a crappy regulator, if so what would you guys recommend? Would this all be easier if I just went to 10-30 PSI and used a valve to control flow to my Honeywell or what?

At this point I have several spare burners and I could setup in a variety of ways. I'm just tired of not getting anywhere with my attempts to fix it. Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to bump this thread.
I have been looking for some sort of diagram/schematic of how people plumbed these things with the black piping. I like the rigidity of the black and, honestly, the aesthetics. I am trying to find clarification on best method from the regulator to the pipe and pipe to the burner and what a parks list for those connections would be.

Back