My Sunday led to this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...despite my best efforts, it seemed, to ensure failure. i made my "Pseudo Wit-ty" witbier yesterday (recipe), and had several things go wrong on me - most with regards to sanitation. yet, somehow, looks like the yeasties won the day.

first pic shows the 4-gallon batch shortly after pitching. about 10 minutes after this pic was taken, i was fishing around with a sanitized piece of coat-hanger trying to remove the orange zest. at first i thought it would be a good idea to leave in primary, then i read that it would create too much bitterness so i panicked and removed them after much effort.

pix 2 and 3 were taken 12 hours after pitching. looking awrite at a steady 68F, lots of churning in the corboy and bubbling about once per second :ban:

yes, i know, the blowoff bucket should be lower. luckily i don't think i'll need it since the krausen is really thick and isn't rising. i'll probably drop in the air-lock tonight.

wit1.jpg

wit2.jpg

wit3.jpg

Cool pics. If the orange zest was just the outside of the peel, it makes for an awesome flavor and aroma without any added bitterness (in my keg right now). Unfornately it fades rather quickly at around 3 weeks. Next time around I will "dry-zest" in primary after fermenation is over (in addition to orange zest in primary during ferment).

i love it when people compliment the size of my hose...

i believe that the size is 1". my LHBS sells it in bulk (cut-to-order) specifically because of its perfect fit. ask your supply shop next time you're there, i'm sure they can confirm or correct me. it is indeed on the big side, but it saves me from dealing with a drilled bung.

I use a hose that size too. I don't ever ferment enough carboys no have too much trouble from it.

No big deal with bungs in my opinion. I can't imagine having a hose that big in my freezer. Here's my freezer with a bunch of blowoffs. That big hose would become cumbersome. The bungs are really pretty easy to deal with, and the thin hose is easy too.

Blowoff_City.JPG

Dayum!!!! Thats a great pic....Dont drink much beer do you?
Bob

Something about an empty fermenter that really bugs me.

Same here, and I'm only on my third batch...My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy with all the beer I'm brewing and the brews I'm planning down the line (next up-an ESB and an IPA. Can't wait.) Fortunately, she loves beer too so I'll have plenty of help drinking the delicious stuff.

Back