Need some thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
Ok I bought a 2.5 gallon keg not to long ago. I like the idea of having some bottles and the rest in the keg. I did everything right for naturally carbing my keg but after reading up on naturally carbing, people say that you have to give it a quick shot of co2 to make a tight seal. I def didn't do that till today. It has been a week. The keg is brand new and it looked to have a great seal on it already. Should I be worried? Or am I over reacting?

Not all kegs require pressure to seal. Whether your particular keg was gas-tight or not is a bit hard to discern from a distance...

The main reason for the shot of co2 is to purge the oxygen out to keep the beer from oxidizing.

That's another subject. The co2 in question is to seal the keg fast rather than very slowly through priming and risking a possible loose/ unseated o-ring seal.

OP, if the keg top won't open when you unlatch the top and push down hard on the top, then it's sealed fine. A little co2 won't hurt either.

So, obviously I am new to kegging, but kegging is not like a big bottle. You obviously can't purge a bottle. So why is it any different? And how late is it to purge of it needs to be done?

No it is not too late to purge. Whatever c02 is in solution will stay in solution. There is a far surface area exposed to air in a keg than in a bottle. If you have a pressure relief valve, give it a little pull, did gas come out? Relax , don't worry ect... No gas hiss? Put it on gas at 10-12 psi, than relax.
Cheers

Ok so I just had my first pint off my keg. It taste great. It has a beautiful head on it but everything under that is flat. Ok, I am going to force carb from here. How do I manage to do that??? I need help! I am buying a regulator and a co2 tank

While in the fridge, pressurize to 12 psi and let it hang out a couple of weeks. That or pressurize to 30 psi and shake it up for 5 minutes.

Cut off the gas, dial the regulator back, and purge the gas in the keg. Then, turn the gas back on and dial it up to serving temp (10 psi for instance).

After I shake it up for a few minutes at 30 psi, then what?

Like the last guy, if you must make it ready tonight, then shake it for 5 at 30 and let it hang out to settle for an hour in the cold, turn down the regulator, purge the regulator to get the gauge to drop, set pressure to 10-12 and pour. That's at cold beer temperatures btw.

edit: lol, I just realized last guy may be female.

Camera-Dummy.jpg

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I will be doing this tomorrow. First, I need to purchase a regulator. Is there any cheaper alternatives to the regulators at the local home brew store? They are about 70 bucks..im cheap but don't mind paying it. Just out curiosity

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I will be doing this tomorrow. First, I need to purchase a regulator. Is there any cheaper alternatives to the regulators at the local home brew store? They are about 70 bucks..im cheap but don't mind paying it. Just out curiosity

amazon 40ish

Latest posts

Back