Normal Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson1025

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer, an amber ale, 10 days ago, and went to check on the fermentation today. The recipe calls for 10 day s of fermentation. I open my bucket up, and I see what is in the picture. I thought that the kraeusen was supposed to fall back into the beer eventually. Should I wait a few more days for it to fall, or should I take a gravity reading today and tomorrow to see if it's ready to bottle? Also, it looks pretty funky. Is something looking like this in the normal range of fermentation?

10_09_15_Kraeusen_After_10_Days.jpg

Looks pretty normal. Take a gravity reading if you'd like; you're probably pretty close to final gravity. It shouldn't hurt to let it go another week or two to let the yeasties clean up, though.

Are you sure that isn't a chocolate milkshake? It looks delicious, and completely normal fermentation :)

Alright, it's now been 30 days since brew day, and I've still got kraeusen sitting on the top of my beer. The FG readings are where they should be for several days in a row, but the kraeusen hasn't fallen yet. Is it still ok to bottle?

Yes. Some yeasts don't like to let the foam fall completely, and sometimes a strain which normally collapses the krauesen back into the beer won't, due to the composition of the grist.

Just rack as normal, disturbing the krauesen as little as possible.

Cheers,

Bob

Back