copper manifold for HD mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
so finally i'm getting everything i need together to go all grain!
my only question right now is about the manifold for my 10 gallon Home depot water cooler.
what is the best way to configure it?
i was thinking of a square configuration, and use my dremel to cut slices in the tubing, say half way through, should the slices be on the bottom or on the top? and should i add tubing in the middle of the manifold?
like this:
------------T------------
| | |
| | |
| | |
------------T------------
|
edit: looks like the boards didnt like my spacing on that ascii pic, second set of lines should be between the T's and the last set on the right hand side going down the manifold.

hopefully that gets the point accoss. and hopefully within the next week or two i'll have my edworts pale ale and some JZ ESB brewing!
thanks for your help
Joe

Will you be batch sparging or fly sparging? If batch the configuration is not important. If fly spraging the configuration is important.

GT

I just did this about a month ago with the same cooler. I made it square with a crossbar using 1/2" copper tubing. Instead of slits, i drilled a row of holes over the entire top of it using (i think) a 3/64" bit.

I also skipped soldering 3 joints. This allowed the manifold to hinge for easier installation and made it easier to remove for cleaning. I'll upload a quick sketch i just made with google docs.

I just made an "almost" imperial stout with about 18lbs of grain and the mash went fantastic. Flowed very well and clean. Clean-up was a total breeze too.

I'm going to be batch sparging. That google docs pic looks pretty good. Any advantage tothe crosspipe going horizontal or verticle?

I'm going to be batch sparging. That google docs pic looks pretty good. Any advantage tothe crosspipe going horizontal or verticle?

I don't think it matters either way. The cross bar just adds another avenue for flow. I think as long as it's relatively symmetrical and the flow has many options that aren't near the sides or in the center it'll be fine.

How to Brew has a helpful appendix on it.

I did mine horizontally because I wanted my manifold to be able to swing a little at those non-soldered joints. If I installed in vertically it wold have to be stationary. Then the section of tubing going from your cooler wall to the manifold would need a slight s-curve as opposed to a more simple gradual c-curve. The curves are to make up the vertical difference from the bottom of the cooler to the height of the hole where the valve is.

IME using the thin cut off wheels will make too small of a slit too work efficiently. You'll need the thick cut off wheels for your dremel. I did the math and I cut 150% in surface area in slits, to the cross section of my pipe. I am just able to run about 7 GPH through my manifold.

The thinner cut off wheels will get clogged up easily and unless you have a big time number of slits. Your not gonna be un-happy.

Back