The Twelve Hopostles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And so it begins...

Nice!!!

I think I would have just made a few beers and then rinsed the yeast real good, then combined all the slurries...then used that soon afterwards, measured for each batch, of course. Maybe liven 'em up with a bit of fresh wort in the jar a day before.

:mug:

Cover.png

Looks fantastic. I really like the softened edges. What if you added a subtle touch of gold behind the "Twelve Hopostles" text?, maybe like a small gold shadow and/or embossed look?

So after an incredible weekend with friends family and a ton of beer... we have successfully brewed all Twelve and they are fermenting happily at 62º ambient and about 68º beer temp.

CIMG7195.jpg

And here is the room in action.

CIMG7186.jpg

I am hoping that some friends will send me some more action shots. It was a very busy weekend. But we stuck to the schedule, 2 beers Friday, 6 beers Saturday, and 4 beers Sunday.

A special thanks to TyTanium who was a man amongst boys in the brewery.

A special thanks to TyTanium who was a man amongst boys in the brewery.

Epic. This weekend will go down in history. I enjoyed every minute and count it an honor to brew alongside you. And I'm still amazed by how consistent our numbers were and that we got through it with no glitches/corrections/accidents/injuries/electrocutions/trips to the ER, etc.

Rousing success. And thanks for the thanks.

Im at a loss for words. I vote this thread be a stickie in the IPA recipe forum.

Judas isn't really a CDA, but it is black. I used 0.6# of de-bittered black malt from Dingmann's to move the color to 33 SRM. So it is black, but does not have an appreciable roasted note. Should be a good aesthetic without throwing off the idea of the series.

I did find enough brewing partners for the project. I had to turn a couple people away actually; I wanted to have some beer after all. I kept about 4 cases for Danika and I.

Nice, for some reason it came to mind that this project would cost you crazy time and money, but after seeing the cases lined up like that, it sunk in. Awesome job, hope to be able to do something this crazy soon.

It is indeed a crazy project. The brewing was a lot of work but very fun and went quickly. The bottling is a serious commitment. It would be way easier if you didn't need to wash and delabel all the bottles. I spent approximately 20 hours just cleaning a delabelling, the bottling and relabelling itself took another 12ish hours.

This is one of the most awe-inspiring threads I have yet seen. Congratulations my good man.

I'm sitting on 10oz of german Hallertau Mittlefruh (4.1%), and I would love to crank out a St. Andrew. Is the hop you used different? I love this variety, but I am concerned at how grassy it will be if used for all the bittering. Cheers!

I used Mittlefruh for St. Andrew. I can't say for sure yet, but the samples tasted pretty interesting a good for the noble hop IPAs. I'll have a more complete review for you in a few weeks.

A couple of questions, however first off THIS IS INCREDIBLE! it is so cool! I want to do this sometime. Did you ferment all of them at once? I imagine that would be a lot of fermenters. Also, I didn't see you using citra in any of these brews. Is there any reason for that? I was planning on making one of the 12 and I picked up citra just assuming that you had an apostle for it. Maybe I'll use the alledged 13th female apostle haha

I get making the Judas a Black IPA, but I'd do it just the same as the others, rename it after Matthias, then brew another batch of all Black IPAs, each with a different hop, named after the 12 tribes of Israel, since the Old Testament contained the shadows (dark) of the realities fully realized in the New Testament. Then you would have an even case with one of each!

I realize that logistically, this would probably be too much work, but I like the idea.

Given the recipe's have been in existence for a while, anyone brewed and tried St. John (Zeus)? I have a pound of CTZ and looking to make an IPA using that hop exclusively for bittering, flavoring and aroma so figured I'd get some feedback. I've never used the hop before so not sure how it would compare to the Centennial/Cascade IPA's I've previously brewed.

Saint John

John.png

Saint Matthew

Matthew.png

Recipe: Saint Matthew
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.48 %
1 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.20 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.30 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (50 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.30 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (40 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
0.40 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (20 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.35 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Looking to do St Matthew as an extract recipe. What would it convert to?

Just had Cascade, Zeus and Saaz.

Unbelievable. That Amber malt is something special, malty without being cloying. Wow.

Cascade, as expected, was sensational. Everything you'd want in a Cascade IPA. Smooth, citrus with subtle grapefruit and a bit of flowery spice.
Zeus had a remarkably smooth bitterness - even smoother than the Cascade, though less abundant aroma and less citrus/pine. Very nice.
Saaz was a malt showcase. This is becoming one of my favorite hops with its subtle presence. Extremely smooth, and just enough presence to say "I'm awesome."

Outstanding. Looking forward to the rest...

EDIT - BK, if you want to be the first to put reviews on here, let me know and I'll delete my posts. Just so good I couldn't resist.

TyTanium said:
Just had Cascade, Zeus and Saaz.

Unbelievable. That Amber malt is something special, malty without being cloying. Wow.

Zeus had a remarkably smooth bitterness - even smoother than the Cascade, though less abundant aroma and less citrus/pine. Very nice.

Outstanding. Looking forward to the rest...

Nice! I've been waiting on that Zeus review. I have a second year Zeus that should give me a ton of hops this year, and I want to do an all homegrown ipa. It's already 4 feet tall and growing by the hour.

Back