Newbie Brewer...Second Brew Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanetoad23

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is the second batch of home brew that I have put on and it I think I have struck some definate newbie trouble....please no laughs.

I went to the home brew shop and got a recepie for Leffe Blonde:

Morgans Canadian Larger
Morgans Beer Enhancer (Extra Pale Malt Extract)
Brew Booster (A small bag of stuff bout 50grams that the bloke at the shop recommended I put in)
The shop gave me all the ingredients and told me I just had to throw them in.

The brew has been on for about two days now but the fermenter has not started bubling, there is no scum build up in the fermenter and the hydrometer reading has not changed.

It has been bloody cold here in the last few days but I have kept the heater belt on and wrapped in a blanket.

The million dollar question is this...(and I feel dumb for asking) there was no dextrose in the recepie. Is this the problem??

Cheers
Mark

Hi,

When we pitched the yeast the temperature was low, bout 15 degrees Celcius, the temp has only just started getting up into the 20s, but as I mentioned it has been very cold here during the nights (sometimes as low as 2 degrees).

Are the sugars in the malt extract?

Cheers

Mark

Yes, the sugars are in the can of liquid extract, and in the packet of beer enhancer (dry malt extract).

Wait another day or two, and try to keep the fermenter around 18C (with no wild temperature swings). If it hasn't started by day four, try stirring/swirling the fermenter around and keeping it at 18C. It should go.

Thanks for the advice all....I got the temperature up and things have been bubbling away for since late last night! Although things have stopped now (after about 24hrs). I added the finnings in so I guees I will look to bottle in the next few days.

Back