Hops storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABushman

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I have a question about storing hops. I have purchased a bunch of hops that were pre-packaged in (I think) nitrogen-filled sealed packages. But, I don’t always use the full package amount all at once, and have to store the leftover quantity. My questions also has an ulterior motive, as I’ll be planting rhizomes as soon as they arrive, and want to be sure I’m ready to store the mature hops when the time comes.

In any case, I tried using a vacuum sealer for my extra leaf hops, and it seemed like it squeezed the bejesus out of them. I haven’t tried to use them yet, but was looking for some opinions on packaging extra and harvested homegrown hops for future use.

Thanks!
Allen

Vacuum sealers (FoodSaver) have plenty of uses for brewing. I bought a couple pounds of hops recently and packaged them into pre-measured 1-oz and 1/2-oz quantities. It's best to freeze them and use them up relatively quickly (long term storage isn't good).

I also use mine to vacuum seal some of my 2-row when I buy 50# sacks of it.

Vacuum sealers (FoodSaver) have plenty of uses for brewing. I bought a couple pounds of hops recently and packaged them into pre-measured 1-oz and 1/2-oz quantities. It's best to freeze them and use them up relatively quickly (long term storage isn't good).

I also use mine to vacuum seal some of my 2-row when I buy 50# sacks of it.

what kinda bags do you use to seal 1-oz quantities? I just bought a food saver, and obviously the 8-inch rolls are too big for 1 oz of hops (but perfect for a pound!)

what kinda bags do you use to seal 1-oz quantities? I just bought a food saver, and obviously the 8-inch rolls are too big for 1 oz of hops (but perfect for a pound!)

My swmbo's allows us to do package ziplock bags. She has special ones that came with the food saver, but we have just used ziplock bags for my homegrown hops. It funny, she hasnt used the food saver once, but as soon as I started growing hops, we got to use it. :)

I use my 8" FoodSaver bags for 1 oz qtys. so they can be used. I have all of mine vaccuum sealed and frozen... Yeah it squeezes the heck out of them, but they pop right back to life when you open the bag.

You probably wont have to worry too much about storing your own hops until the fall of 2010.

Thank you for the information. I was afraid to use the sealed hops after I saw how much they were compressed, as I feared the oils may have been squeezed out and stuck to the bag or something. But it sounds like I should be ok.

Thanks again!

Allen

I use the roll of bag material and I make them just large enough for the quantity of the hops. The pre-made bags would work, but you probably waste space in them.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer just use a regular ziplock and a straw. You will be able to suck out most of the air and close the bag (squeeze it against a counter as you suck out the air). Then just store them in the freezer.

Back