Out of ideas.....What would you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you brew??

• IPA/IIPA/IIIPA

• Barleywine

• Belgian Tripple

• Saison

• American Wheat

• Wee Heavy

• Pale Ale

• Westmale clone/Orval clone

Results are only viewable after voting.

Native302

Reaction score
OK so I've ran into a block on brewing ideals :confused: and am reaching out to the fellow homebrewers for some input. BTW I do not have laggering capabilities at this point.

What would you brew?

Grain Inventory:
55lbs French Pilsner
55lbs American 2 row
40lbs White Weat malt
45lbs Flaked Corn
50lbs Flaked Rice
45lbs Rye malt
50lbs Vienna malt
40lbs Munich malt
16lbs Crystal 15
60lbs Golden Pale LME
55lbs 6 Row
55lbs Marris Otter
2lbs Honey Malt
5lbs Melanoiden
1lb Special B
2lbs Crystal 120
5lbs Rice hulls
There are probalby other grains, but I can't remember what they are cause I'm at work now.

Hops Inventory:
3lbs Willamette, whole
9oz Cascade, whole
4oz Amarillo, whole
1lb Hallertau, mittlefreu (spelling??)
1lb Cascade
1lb Tettanger
1lb US Golding
1lb Saaz
1lb Simcoe
8oz Sorachi Ace
3oz Centennial
2oz Magnumn
2oz Perle
2oz Styrian Golding
1oz Palisade
There are various <1oz hops that I don't remember

Yeasts Inventory:
Irish Ale
Farmhouse Ale Blend
San Diego Super Yeast x2
Brett C
Pacman
California Ale (wlp001 and 1056) $h!t ton
Biere de Garde
French Saison 3711
Dogfish Head Mystery X
Bastgone
Trappist Blend
And I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

I really have too high of an inventory and need to brew ASAP. The Poll is for what I enjoy to drink but have yet to brew this year. All other comments and ideas are welcome!

Cheers :mug: Native

I say go big or go home: make the absolute biggest batch of beer your equipment will allow.

First things first, I hate you...... but in a I really wish I had your problem kind of way. I voted barleywine because I really like them and it should be ready for the colder months when they go down best.

I say go big or go home: make the absolute biggest batch of beer your equipment will allow.

I can brew 10 gallons at a time, unless it's a high gravity beer like my RIS that used 26lbs of grains with an SG of 1.125 and finished a 1.020 and it's aging on port soaked oak spirals now. Then I'm limited to 5 gallons at a time.

I can brew 10 gallons at a time, unless it's a high gravity beer like my RIS that used 26lbs of grains with an SG of 1.125 and finished a 1.020 and it's aging on port soaked oak spirals now. Then I'm limited to 5 gallons at a time.

So try making a bigger beer than that monstrosity of an RIS. :)

Maybe I should try a 25% 2 gallon barleywine that I could ferment in my corny...

Hmm put it all in a big pot and shoot for the moon as far as gravity. Then add fruit, and vanilla, and chocolate, and maybe a steak :).

For real, a wee heavy, or a Pliny the Elder.

I cant believe you need help deciding what to brew. Looks like you have enough inventory to brew any ale you want. If it was me I would just close my eyes and point. Random beer goodness:mug:

Clann said:
I cant believe you need help deciding what to brew. Looks like you have enough inventory to brew any ale you want. If it was me I would just close my eyes and point. Random beer goodness:mug:

I can decide but it's more fun to hear everyones comments and suggestions. I'm prob gonna do a IIIPA, a farmhouse saison w/Brett, an Orval clone,
A wee heavy......then will see from there

I voted for a couple (IIPA, Barleywine and Pale) but now I'm thinking I should have voted all of them.

So now I'm thinking you should do a BREWATHON this weekend and do the omitted selection in the poll: "All of the Above."

.... at least that's what I would do given your "problem" :D

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
I voted for a couple (IIPA, Barleywine and Pale) but now I'm thinking I should have voted all of them.

So now I'm thinking you should do a BREWATHON this weekend and do the omitted selection in the poll: "All of the Above."

.... at least that's what I would do given your "problem" :D

Yeah I,m gonna brew on Thursday and Monday. A hoped/dry hoped Belgian triple with two grains and table sugar, a saison w/Brett, and a smoked Oaked pale ale. Just went threw all my inventory and found smoked malt, victory malt, roasted barley, caramunich, biscuit, and aromatic.

God I've got a lot of grains!

Yeah I,m gonna brew on Thursday and Monday. A hoped/dry hoped Belgian triple with two grains and table sugar, a saison w/Brett, and a smoked Oaked pale ale. Just went threw all my inventory and found smoked malt, victory malt, roasted barley, caramunich, biscuit, and aromatic.

God I've got a lot of grains!

Sounds like party time for grain weevils.

716686011_icon.gif

I have a few session beers on tap right now and am really enjoying being able to drink a larger quantity.
My suggestion would be a blonde, a mild, and a wheat.

Bull

A quadruple, an IIIPA, a barleywine, a wee heavy....and...and...

Jesus H, how on earth did you let yourself end up with 600 lbs of grain. Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Jesus H, how on earth did you let yourself end up with 600 lbs of grain. Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Don't forget to make a starter in your bathtub.

I think a SMASH is a cool idea. Experiment with a hop you don't really know.

B

Parti Gyle - Barleywine and Old Ale....or IIPA and Pale Ale

Ferment large beer (5 gal) in corny and small beer (10 gal) in your fermenter.

Then a saison whilst it's still warm/hot.

I say throw out the style guidelines and do some experiments. Do something bold...do a 1.100 saison and drop a citrus hop bomb into it and throw some tangerine peel into the secondary. Or maybe a CDA with the farmhouse yeast and all noble hops? Or a rye porter? If I had that inventory, I'd be going all mad scientist in the brew house...let your palate be your guide!

One thing I never lack is inspiration for what the next batch should be. Who are these brewing squares telling you to do a pale ale?

I say it's time to bust out the random number generator homeboy! Decide how many of each grain, hop, etc you want in and give them a number. Fire up the generator and that's what is going in. You can use that for what goes in, what amount, when, etc. If it's a debaucherous mess...you expected that. If it's amazing...we'll brew it again in Austin. :p

beerandloathinginaustin said:
One thing I never lack is inspiration for what the next batch should be. Who are these brewing squares telling you to do a pale ale?

That's what I was thinking.... why not just crack a Bud

So, that yeast is more than 7 months old?

No....none of the yeast is 7 months old. The Dogfish Mystery X yeast is on the 3rd generation and I wash all of my yeasts. I usually don't keep fresh yeasts longer than 3 months.

lol...I'm not sure how to reply to that...but I'd love to try it.

<--- brewing square. Brew a pale ale since you can't lager yet and make a tasty bud light clone. :D
Seriously tho, I wish I had your dilemma. I'd brew a few things, like a RIS or barleywine for winter. An IIPA would be nice too. Man, if I were in your shoes, I'd brew til every FV in the place was full, then go buy a couple carboys and brew more!!!! :rockin:

I say it's time to bust out the random number generator homeboy! Decide how many of each grain, hop, etc you want in and give them a number. Fire up the generator and that's what is going in. You can use that for what goes in, what amount, when, etc. If it's a debaucherous mess...you expected that. If it's amazing...we'll brew it again in Austin. :p

no lack of inspiration here, I just like to see what you all will say and imput because you all have some good ideas, a lot of crazy ideals, and some bad ideals i.e. smimming pool mash with 600lbs grain lol

What I listed in the poll and stated in some posts is what I have lined up for the pipeline. I listed a pale ale cause it's my sesion beer.

<--- brewing square. Brew a pale ale since you can't lager yet and make a tasty bud light clone. :D
Seriously tho, I wish I had your dilemma. I'd brew a few things, like a RIS or barleywine for winter. An IIPA would be nice too. Man, if I were in your shoes, I'd brew til every FV in the place was full, then go buy a couple carboys and brew more!!!! :rockin:

Yeah I've seriously been slacking this summer..too damn hot..I've got 3 buckets and 2 carboys open. A quad aging w/Brett B, a RIS aging on oak, Appfelwein, and a Biere de Garde ready to bottle. My pipeline is dwindeling down.

So my pipeline is running low. Pale ale for my first, IIIPA, Farmhouse Saison, then triple

Back