No Carb in my beautiful Belgian Strong PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm

Reaction score
I’m in the process of brewing a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, and it has been in the bottles for 2 weeks. It was in the primary for about 8 days, and the fermentation had pretty much stopped – one bubble per min or less, and the krausen fell a few days before that. It fermented vigorously for 6 days, then slowed. I put it in the secondary fermenter for 2 weeks, and by the time I bottled it, there was not action at all in the air lock – there really wasn’t much action once I put it in the secondary, and I think the yeast stalled in the primary because the SG was a bit too high for this beer which should have been quite strong in Alc. Anyway, I tested one after a week in the bottles, and there was no sign of carbonation, and again today, at the two week mark, and still no sign of carbonation at all. The beer tastes great, and the second one is better than the first; a subtle hint of banana on the nose, nice hot aroma, the cardamom and star aniseed is subtle but noticeable, and a bit of a strong hop bite but I imagine that will mellow with time. I’d planned to condition this one for at least a month in the bottle, but I was wondering if this is going to carbonate at all.

Should I sit tight and wait a few weeks more to see if it carbonates, or can I salvage this batch by popping the caps and using some sort of carbonation tablets? I’d prefer not to do that, but because this one tastes so good, I’d like to save it if I can. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all the support,

Rob

Tried keeping the bottles somewhere warm? If you're keeping them in a cool cellar, for example, they may take a while to carbonate. The yeast shouldn't be a problem with only two weeks in the secondary. How much priming sugar did you use?

Did you use a strong ale yeast? An ordinary yeast may have just died out. Give them another two weeks in a warm spot.

i have had good success using 1/3 pack of lavlin ec1118 champagne yeast at bottling higher alcohol beers

mysterio said:
Tried keeping the bottles somewhere warm? If you're keeping them in a cool cellar, for example, they may take a while to carbonate. The yeast shouldn't be a problem with only two weeks in the secondary. How much priming sugar did you use?

They are in the basement right now, but it isn't exactly 'cold' down there. I will move them upstairs to see if that makes a difference. I used a little less than 3/4 cup priming sugar.

david_42 said:
Did you use a strong ale yeast? An ordinary yeast may have just died out. Give them another two weeks in a warm spot.

The yeast I used was Wyeasst 1214, which should have handled high alcohol beers. Unfortunately I did not use a starter, which may have been the reason that fermentation cut short. Regardless, do I understand correctly that even thou I didn't hit my desired gravity, that there should still be enough yeast in the bottles to allow for priming, if I move it to a warmer place and let them sit for a few more weeks?

Back