American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 6 pack of Bells Two Hearted Ale in the mail today from my brother. Tossed one in the freezer, 30 mins later I drank it. It was good. kinda bitter, but I tell you what, I'm drinkin this IPA and I tell you what, it's better than The Bells

No offense, but I don't think anyone could tell you what a beer you made with a recipe no one has used would taste like.

Just grab a common ipa that they would likely have had before

My recipe is not that different from the original, brewed by dozens of others on this thread. I'm asking brewers who have far more experience than I do, and would likely have very little difficulty determining how the small changes I have made might effect a beer that they themselves have brewed. You should give the brewers on HBT a little more credit. And if you don't have anything constructive to offer, then why post at all?

I got a 6 pack of Bells Two Hearted Ale in the mail today from my brother. Tossed one in the freezer, 30 mins later I drank it. It was good. kinda bitter, but I tell you what, I'm drinkin this IPA and I tell you what, it's better than The Bells

I also like two hearted when I can get my hands on it. But I agree that this recipe makes a great IPA. Last weekend I drank one only 8 days in the bottle, and it was okay. But tonight I opened one 14 days in the bottle and... WOW. Gave one to my neighbor, and after about three sips he says "so when can we brew a batch together?"

I went to a couple of web sites this afternoon trying to identify good beers to compare it to. I want a wide distribution commercial beer that many people may have already had. First I went to Sierra Nevada and checked the specs on Torpedo. It's ABV is a little higher than mine at 7.2% vs. 6.2%. IBUs are the same at 65 and it uses Citra, but has Magnum and Crystal, where this beer uses Cascade and Willamette. Will these hop differences make a huge taste difference?

I also went to Lagunitas. Their IPA has the same ABV and uses Cascade and Centennial hops. No mention of the IBUs.

So has anybody done a side by side with this beer and either of the two above?

My LHBS did an all-grain demo today. Once the boil started I decided to go in the store and purchase a false bottom for my mash tun, then decided I needed to brew something, so I'm going to brew this IPA again. I know the recipe calls for torrified wheat, which they did not have, so I substituted regular wheat. Last time I used flaked wheat, not sure if there will be that big of a difference as the recipe only calls for .25oz. I also was washed my yeast from the last batch for the first time and I'm going to use it for this next brew. Last brew was BIAB, I wonder how much of a difference there will be, if any. LHBS says to use 1.1 qts per lb, but I have heard and read is to go with 1.25 qts per lb

I was just doing a search of HBT for good recipes. I try to focus on threads with a high view count & a good reply # initially. Then I'll look for hops, yeast, time................................. the actual recipe for goodies. I'm not good enough to be able to distinguish my favorite grains yet. & I'm not experienced enough to develop my own beers. Soon.................. but not yet.

I've been able to brew some FANTASTIC stuff as a result of following this criteria - hint, hint. There are folks at my beer club that salivate when I show up. I've been amazed that people put all the time in to brew bad homemade beer. I don't do much other than follow directions.

Thank you enohcs! This will be a winner!

I've seen lots of good things about American IPA's on YouTube. I'm interested. Enohcs' has been down the same path I've been walking. Looking closer I see items I really like:

1) Liquid yeast
2) Starter
3) Dry Hop
4) Time fermented.

I'm putting this in Beersmith as we speak. My next trip to the LHBS this is it! I hope it turns out as great as these reviews say it is!

I'm sure it will! :mug:

P.S. I've had very good luck when washing (a like kind) yeast from a previous batch & a starter. It's like putting in multiple packs of yeast on steroids! :ban::eek::eek:

I only joined this thread now and have read the op and a few other pages but this sound like a great recipe.
I have one question, I don't have any Chinook is there something else I could use? I have Target, Nugget, Northern Brewer would one of these be OK?

Thanks!:mug:

I only joined this thread now and have read the op and a few other pages but this sound like a great recipe.
I have one question, I don't have any Chinook is there something else I could use? I have Target, Nugget, Northern Brewer would one of these be OK?

Thanks!:mug:

I didn't use Chinook when I made my version, and it turned out awesome! I subbed Citra as a 30 min add, and for one ounce of the Cascade in dry hop. You'll see lots of different versions when you do get around to reading more of the thread. Try whatever sounds good to you, or whatever you have on hand. Just try to match up the AA%.

:tank:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like a very forgiving recipe :)
I have 1lb of Cascade and 1/4 lb each of citra and Armarillo on the way so I'm sure I'll find a decent combination :mug:

Would Summit fit in there somewhere?
I have seen a good deal on a 1lb of these.
For some reason over here in Europe I just can't get as good a deal on the Chinook as some of the other American hops.

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff

American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs

American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs

American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs

American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs

American Briess Torrified Wheat0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min

Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min

Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min

Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min

Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min

Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

I brewed this a few weeks back using the Wyeast West Coast IPA yeast. It's keg conditioning now & awaiting a spot in my kegerator but the hydrometer samples were awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi All,

So I have decided to just make one change from the OP and that is use Nugget instead of Chinook. Anyone see any problem with that?
I have never used any of these hops but Nugget pops up a lot in the different hop substitution charts for Chinook.

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul

Hi All,

So I have decided to just make one change from the OP and that is use Nugget instead of Chinook. Anyone see any problem with that?

I have never used any of these hops but Nugget pops up a lot in the different hop substitution charts for Chinook.

Sounds good. Personally, I sub Chinook out whenever I can.

First of all, there are no two palates alike, right? That being said. I just received some Heady Topper in the mail today and I must/will say this recipe is just a slim tad, ever so lightly better than HT. HT is ever so slightly a bit more bitter, ever so lightly than this AIPA. I have only brewed this recipe once and have the grains ready to be mashed this weekend. So time will tell how the next batch compares to the first batch. For those looking for a great AIPA recipe, this one is it!!

Sounds good. Personally, I sub Chinook out whenever I can.

OK good, so I'm going to add this to my to-do list.

The only problem is that I brew maybe once every 6 weeks but I seem to add at least one beer a week to my to-do list :drunk:

However I have onky been brewing about a year so hopfeully eventually I will be able to catch up.:rockin:

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff

American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs

American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs

American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs

American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs

American Briess Torrified Wheat0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min

Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min

Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min

Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min

Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min

Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

Just tapped this. Very good, balanced!!

I've only been brewing BIAB and I usually mash for 90 min in order to get decent efficiency, would that work for this recipe? I know that conversion happens pretty early on but for someone who is still pretty new, would it make any difference to mash for an additional 30 min?

Did you do a mashout for this recipe?
I was just thinking of heating to 170 and killing the flame. Thoughts?

Could anyone lend me a hand and help me convert this to a 6 or. 6.5 gallon recipe? Or inform me where or how to try and do so myself.
Any help would be appreciated.

Could anyone lend me a hand and help me convert this to a 6 or. 6.5 gallon recipe? Or inform me where or how to try and do so myself.
Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the 5 gal recipe, divide each item by 5, this gives you 1 gallon batch quanities, they multiply by 6 or 6.5.

Clarification question. Am I supposed to boil 90 minutes but not add hops until 30 minutes? What is the purpose of boiling it for 60 minutes before adding hops? Thanks!

This doesn't have any Pilsner in it, so I would think that DMS wouldn't be much of an issue. A 60 min boil would probably be fine.

This doesn't have any Pilsner in it, so I would think that DMS wouldn't be much of an issue. A 60 min boil would probably be fine.

If you make this AG, it will have DMS. DMS isn't exclusive to Pilsner malt. A 60 minute boil should still be fine as long as you don't cover it.

If you make this AG, it will have DMS. DMS isn't exclusive to Pilsner malt. A 60 minute boil should still be fine as long as you don't cover it.

Most people know this. Pislner malt has more DMS and is recommended for 90 min boils. Since this has none, there really is no benefit of doing a 90 min boil vs 60 min. the only reason i could see in a 90 min boil here is to reduce volume to hit OG but if you start with the right amount, that isn't necessary.

I plan on brewing this over the weekend. kinda temped to brew it today since im working from home.

Most people know this. Pislner malt has more DMS and is recommended for 90 min boils. Since this has none, there really is no benefit of doing a 90 min boil vs 60 min. the only reason i could see in a 90 min boil here is to reduce volume to hit OG but if you start with the right amount, that isn't necessary.

I plan on brewing this over the weekend. kinda temped to brew it today since im working from home.

I brewed this per the OP recipe. No DMS! If you're getting DMS your boil isn't vigorous enough or you're leaving the lid on OR you picked up Pilsner in error. That's happened to me.
Otherwise the purpose of the boil is to sterilize your wort, drive off unwanted components ( DMS ), concentrate the wort & to isomerize the AA's in your hops for bitterness, flavor, & aroma.

Going to brew this this weekend. Didn't get a chance to do it last weekend. I also dropped my yeast as i was opening it to put into the starter and lost more than half so i just threw it out. setup a new starter last night and will prob brew this on Saturday.

I brewed this about 3 weeks ago, I just kegged it and I am impressed. Even flat it tastes pretty darn good! I can't wait till it's carbonated and aged a little!

I know this post is old but I would like to try this beer out. Do you know the AAU of the hops and could I substitue one of them for citra if so what one.

I know this post is old but I would like to try this beer out. Do you know the AAU of the hops and could I substitue one of them for citra if so what one.

Bookmark this page

https://byo.com/resources/hops

and/or this one

http://www.onebeer.net/hopschart.html

Oh yeah there's also this one...

http://hbd.org/abnormal/reference/The Ultimate Hop Chart.pdf

And you'll never have to ask that question again! As for the Citra, I have yet to find a hop that tastes/smells similar, so you'll likely make a very different beer, but it likely won't be bad.

Don't do it! Make this beer then dry hop with citra. That's what I did. Best beer I've ever had.

Back