Bulk Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Ill mean making a wheat on Sunday for a buddy. I really dont want to give up any of my bottles so I came up with the following solution. 2 liter pop bottles. Yes I know oxygen permeability but they will only live long enough to carbonate then get drunk right away.
My question is how much sugar to use for priming. Do I have to tone it down any because of the bigger bottles? Thanks.

True, the larger the container the less sugar needed. That is why you use 3 oz for kegs to get the same carbonation as 5 oz in bottles, but I have used 2 liter bottles when I ran out of bottles with the usual amount of sugar for bottling and it worked out great. I think I will start using 2 liters more often for beer that I know is not gonna sit around long.

I think I may do this the next time I do a brew that I don't really want to age... but just get drunk off of it. another thing to think of would be to use the same amount of sugar to prime and then when you opened it if you didn't drink it all, you could let it prime again and in a few more days its as if you lost no carbonation at all.... something to think about...

Back