Still fermenting???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
My cider is still in the secondary bubbling away. It has been in there for almost 2 months now and still bubbling about every 8-10 seconds. It was in the primary for about 7-8 days. Will it ever stop?? It has a small grouping of bubbles at the top all the time and they are almost clear bubbles. It has cleared pretty well and looks great. How long should it take to ferment out. I cannot use sulfites to stop the fermentation because of allergies. Any suggestions???

If you added much sugar or honey, it can take another month or two. I've got some from back in September that is still fermenting. That has a pound of cane sugar per gallon of cider.

JOHN51277 said:
My cider is still in the secondary bubbling away. It has been in there for almost 2 months now and still bubbling about every 8-10 seconds. It was in the primary for about 7-8 days. Will it ever stop?? It has a small grouping of bubbles at the top all the time and they are almost clear bubbles. It has cleared pretty well and looks great. How long should it take to ferment out. I cannot use sulfites to stop the fermentation because of allergies. Any suggestions???

You could always use a fine filter to filter out the yeas and stop the fermentation, or you could expose it to really cold temps to drop out the yeast and then transfer to another vessel, and hopefully by then the yeast will be too stressed to keep on fermenting.

It'll keep going until the yeast you used hits it's max alcohol tolerance levels and dies or more likely the yeast uses up all the sugar and then drops out. Like david_42 said just give it time to finish, it'll be fine - no problem!

Caplan said:
It'll keep going until the yeast you used hits it's max alcohol tolerance levels and dies or more likely the yeast uses up all the sugar and then drops out. Like david_42 said just give it time to finish, it'll be fine - no problem!

Waiting is always the hardest part, but I agree also, you should wait.
I notice that you named it "alcoholics apple cider" - did you use a lot of fermentables?

I didnt really usa alot of fermentables. i used pure 100% apple juice, 1 lb brown sugar, 20 oz of maple syrup. and pitched nottingham yeast.

Back