Aging in kegs.... CO2 or no

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangDawg

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I should age in my kegs with the CO2 up to force carb levels or just enough to seal them disconnect it.

I have no data to support this, but I don't think it really matters much after you disconnect the hose. At this point, the pressure in the headspace is going to diffuse into the beer (which won't amount to much if you just pressurized the keg and disconnected).

I don't think it matters b/c I've had kegs that I force carbed and everything, but could tell they were still green (not ready to drink) I didn't take it off the gas. Just didn't drink it for a while and it aged fine. Obviously aging w/o the Co2 works we all do that all the time so I sort of have experimental data to say it doesn't matter, but my suggestion is don't pressurize the keg until you at least think it is ready. Why waste the CO2?

Two reasons for just sealing: dry hopping, post aging and spontaneous poppet valve leaks. Three times, I've had kegs self-pressurize and start leaking, weeks after they went into the aging bin.

Back