Waiting for the Sun - Ale with Cranberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I've read a good number of cranberry beer threads (most of them wheat beers or stouts) which described the results as mediocre at best. I love cranberries, so I decided to give it a go anyway, and the results are great! For you fellow Michiganders, the name is a tongue-in-cheek reference to Soft Parade, a beer brewed with fresh berries from Short's, which this beer somewhat resembles. The major difference is the great tannins from the cranberries.

The original idea was to add cranberries to a traditional Kölsch, but after reading the aforementioned threads, I decided it might come out too tart and went with a darker base grain and higher gravity like Soft Parade. I stuck with a German yeast for a clean finish and to let the cranberries shine through as much as possible. The high mash temperature left a bit of residual sweetness which blends fantastically with the sourness of the cranberries.

12 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt

Mash @155 for 1 hour.

1 oz. Tettnang @60

Ferment with Wyeast 1007 German Ale, 2 weeks primary, rack onto 2.25 lbs. (3 12 oz. packages) of fresh cranberries, frozen then thawed and smashed up a bit, for 1 week in the secondary, then rack to a tertiary to clear. I added gelatin and cold-crashed for 2 weeks, which some of you may recognize from the thread where I got a weird two-toned effect for a while. It eventually cleared fine.

Stats:
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.018
IBUs: 15
ABV: ~7.5%-8% (I'm not sure how much the cranberries contributed.)

This beer is a lovely color and dangerously drinkable. My webcam is pretty shoddy, but here's a picture of a finished pint. (The head had been sinking for a bit while I fiddled with the camera.) Also a pretty nice partial shot of my 1930's Smith Corona portable typewriter.

CranBeer.jpg

Going to rack a gallon of my robust porter onto .5lb of frozen cranberries. Was going to just let thaw and then add them. Do you think they need to be heated to 160F?

Cheers!

I didn't heat mine and I had no problem. In your case it can't hurt since you don't have to worry about clarity, but I don't think it's necessary.

Back