All Summit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awlcordell

Reaction score
Brewed an all Summit IPA last month 4 gallon batch with 2 lbs light DME, 3 lbs amber LME and a pound of sugar. The 1/2 ounce additions at 60, 20, 15, and 10 minutes. Then 1 ounce additions at 5 and flameout, dry hopped with 2 ounces for 6 days. Fermented with S-04.
All with summit hops! The beer has carbed up nice and looks beautiful, it has a huge orange/tangerine nose and it tastes just like it smells. Big orange flavor with plenty of bitterness.

I use summit for my bittering hops a lot. Been afraid to use it for flavor/aroma. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

Well I have been reading around these forums that summit hops can give of an onion/garlic kind of taste so I was a little worried, but when my LHBS is selling a pound of summit hop pellets for 10$ you just can't go wrong. So I tried it and it worked. Can't wait to brew it again.

I use summit for my bittering hops a lot. Been afraid to use it for flavor/aroma. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

I heard the same stuff, brewed a 1 gallon test batch to be safe and it tasted like sweat. Summit flavor differs greatly between crops and growers.

I'm glad summit worked out for you... All I got out of the 1lb I bought and used was diesel fuel aroma and garlic and onion flavor. I really hoped they would have worked out the way they were described.

I posted about my experience with these hops on another forum after my batch was finished and disgusting. Someone with Awlcordell's good experience with them replied with this:

-->I know a guy who works for hopsteiner as their sales rep and he told me a lot about summit hops. He said that they are a dwarf (which i knew) and that the hop growers have been pumping them full of fertilizer to make them grow more than they are suposed to. He said that the ones that have had fertilizer used on them will have a onion, garlic aroma and flavor but if you buy organic ones they will have a totally different smell more like tangerines.

... He said that the ones that have had fertilizer used on them will have a onion, garlic aroma and flavor but if you buy organic ones they will have a totally different smell more like tangerines.
Anyone know about the Summit from 50 Pound Sack? Fertilized?

To use all Summit in any beer is a depraved act. Why one would waste their precious time, hard earned money and effort on brewing with a hop that is only fit for use in a cat litter box is beyond me.

There are some evil people in this world I tell ya.

My last IPA is evidence that summit is a fantastic finishing hop, worthy of heavy whirlpool and dry hop additions. Straight tangerine and musky tropical fruit. I have found that anwhere midboil you are tempting the "garlic Gods" with this one, so I leave it out of the boil entirely.

Why one would waste their precious time, hard earned money and effort on brewing with a hop that is only fit for use in a cat litter box is beyond me.

There are some evil people in this world I tell ya.

Different strokes for different folks.... pretty simple.

How about this.... Why would one waste their precious time and effort updating their signature with what beer they have in queue, what beer they have fermenting and what beer they have kegging?

Same thing different strokes for different folks

To me its a good hop to use in a blend with other citrus hops. Yes it can have a dank, cat pee, even slightly oniony component but thats similar to Simcoe which everybody raves about. A little of this in a blend with Centennial, Columbus, Amarillo and Citra, gives you nice complexity.

My last IPA is evidence that summit is a fantastic finishing hop, worthy of heavy whirlpool and dry hop additions. Straight tangerine and musky tropical fruit. I have found that anwhere midboil you are tempting the "garlic Gods" with this one, so I leave it out of the boil entirely.

My batch tasted fine until the dry hop--then it was all sweaty armpit.

I used them in another batch only as the bittering charge figuring no character would make it into the finished beer. Right after fermentation it had that sweaty taste and I thought I had screwed up. After 6 weeks of lagering (it was an o'fest) the flavor was gone--thank God.

I don't believe all summit is evil-only the crop I had.

I would make a hop tea to see what to expect if I were to try a different crop.

I just got 2 pounds free from YakimaValleyHops.I sure hope I can use them at least for bittering.
I just bottled a ten gallon batch of Smash today and put a gallon into a secondary with half an ounce of the Summit.
I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what shakes out.:)

Different strokes for different folks.... pretty simple.

How about this.... Why would one waste their precious time and effort updating their signature with what beer they have in queue, what beer they have fermenting and what beer they have kegging?

Same thing different strokes for different folks

Fair enough. As for the sig, I use it to keep track of all the beer I have in process. It's a tool for me to be more organized.

Different strokes...

Back