Who would buy this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
Keezer

Would someone actually pay $1999 for that? I mean, it's not an ugly keezer, but it's not a two grand keezer either.

Looks like he is trying to make a living off building keezers. Good luck to him if he can, but I think his target audience would mostly build one themselves before shelling out $2k for one.

In their defense there are plenty of people who I'm sure would like to build their own but aren't confident that it would look too nice, or don't have the time to take on the project but have the financial means to purchase one. Sometimes you have to weigh out how much money you can save by doing it yourself against the time it would take you and what you'd have to give up or not do in order to make time for that project.

Granted 2k sounds a bit high, but I'm sure at some point he'll find a buyer and still make some money on the deal. Just my thoughts.

I've seen some keezers on here that people have built, and yes, they're easily worth 2 grand if you hired somebody to build them. But that was not one of them.

I personally would not build a keezer for less than 2 grand, if the purpose of the keezer was just for selling it, since they're such a pain in the ass to put together and make it look nice.

I'm a lazy guy and about to build a keezer. Honestly, if I could get what I want for about $900 - $1300 shipped to my door I would probably do it and safe the effort.

In their defense there are plenty of people who I'm sure would like to build their own but aren't confident that it would look too nice, or don't have the time to take on the project but have the financial means to purchase one. Sometimes you have to weigh out how much money you can save by doing it yourself against the time it would take you and what you'd have to give up or not do in order to make time for that project.

Granted 2k sounds a bit high, but I'm sure at some point he'll find a buyer and still make some money on the deal. Just my thoughts.

Quite frankly, that doesn't like too nice. If he wrapped all of the freezer in oak and made it all like a cabinet it would. But it looks awkward like it is. It would have looked better had he painted the wood parts black to match the frig.

But I agree that someone with the money might just assume go out and buy one already done.

Not even close to a 2K keezer. It's only 7 CF!

Any guess as to what his warranty options are?

It's nice, but except for the lighted display, nothing special to make it cost so much. Maybe if it had a better temp controller with display on the front and came filled with homebrew...

except for the lighted display.
The lighted display can be had for really cheap. I got mine from IKEA for maybe $30 and it can change to different colors, flash, glow, etc.

Let's run down the price list:
7.2cf Freezer: $270@ Lowes
Johnson digital controller: $85
3 perlick faucets: $120
3 shanks & misc parts: $70
10# CO2 tank: $125
dual regulator: $120
lumber: $50
tile: $20
light:$50
misc parts: $100

so, that's about $1000 in parts which means he's charging about $1000 for labor. Let's say it took him 5 hours to get all the parts together and build the thing. That's $200/hour.

That makes it sound much better, honestly. If you aren't asking for 2X your material cost you are probably not going to stay in business very long. There is overhead and Health Care, tax, etc.

And it probably took longer than 5 hours worth of work. It's not an assembly line.

Still expensive to me. I'd rather build it than buy it, but plenty of people don't have the tools, skill or desire. For that price a few more taps would be nice.

Yeah, I'm into about that with the one I'm building right now, plus kegs.
And a secondary regulator. Minus tile and lights.

I like the one I built and the know how to build/fix it. Sitting back and enjoying your good homebrew and admiring your handiwork is pretty rewarding and worth the time for me.

I host a monthly poker game and it's fun when there are new people.

New person: "This is a really nice poker table. Where did you get it?
Me: "I made it."
NP: "This is good beer. Where'd you get it?"
NP: "It's cool that it's on tap. Where'd you get the keggerator?"

gameface said:
i host a monthly poker game and it's fun when there are new people.

New person: "this is a really nice poker table. Where did you get it?
Me: "i made it."
np: "this is good beer. Where'd you get it?"
me: "i made it."
np: "it's cool that it's on tap. Where'd you get the keggerator?"
me: "i made it."

+1

The lighted display can be had for really cheap. I got mine from IKEA for maybe $30 and it can change to different colors, flash, glow, etc.

tile: $20
light:$50

so, that's about $1000 in parts which means he's charging about $1000 for labor. Let's say it took him 5 hours to get all the parts together and build the thing. That's $200/hour.

Maybe it is a typo and should be 999?!?!? I hope, if not I am going to start buying used freezer off CL and go into bussiness..

if it really is the same price for labor as it is for parts that's typically the going rate for most services you would do.. construction work in your home, car repairs/service, etc, all are usually the same cost in parts as it is in labor.. still too expensive for what it is but once it was broken down actually fairly reasonable

It looks like he put a lot of work into it. If I had a lot of money I MIGHT buy one.

Latest posts

Back