Beer in fermenter for 4 weeks!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1988

Reaction score
ok my beer has been in primary for 4 weeks will it fail to carb when a bottle and does this help it at all its a muton American lite and i filled the fermente with the sink spray any issue there

Leaving it in there is good for your beer. The yeast get more time to clean up after themselves. I leave almost all of my beers for 3-5 weeks.

And you have nothing to worry about with bottling. You only need to worry if you have enough yeast if it's been sitting for a few months.

Agreed. 4 weeks should be no trouble at all. I've got an imperial pumpkin ale that's been sitting for 5-6 weeks and I'm not worried about it carbing at all.

4 weeks in a primary - not an issue. It was likely overkill for a light beer, but it won't hurt anything.

sink spray - really depends. Clean tap water is generally fine. Those pull out sprayers tend to have a lot of grooves and holes that can collect crud though. If you are going to use that, make sure to clean it well so you aren't accidentally introducing kitchen bacteria into your brew.

You'll see 3 weeks as the frequently quoted minimum for most beers. I recently bottled an imperial nut brown ale that sat for four weeks in primary and four plus months in secondary.

Your beer will be fine.

ok my beer has been in primary for 4 weeks will it fail to carb when a bottle and does this help it at all its a muton American lite and i filled the fermente with the sink spray any issue there

Punctuation is your friend.

Well, maybe not your friend, but it's a friend of many, and it doesn't cost anything to use.

Back