BeerSmith question (about one of the included recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HibsMax

Reaction score
Just downloaded BeerSmith 2 today and have been poking around. I looked at one of the two extract recipes they provide - the Muddy Pig Oatmeal Stout - and in the instructions it has a Mash Style. This is an extract recipe, I won't be mashing anything. I can't remove it or set it to No Mash because that's not an option. It was set to My Mash but when I was looking around I accidentally must have set it to something else. I can't reset it to My Mash because that's not an option in the drop down. I guess I could just ignore it but I prefer a cleaner look i.e., all the information I do need and none of the information that I don't need.

i have beer smith also, well just downloaded today . thats how that recipe comes from what i can see , i haven't change anything on mine

I would have thought that the interface would have hidden the MASH drop down rather than just gray it out, but I think it's safe to say that for an extract brew we know we're not mashing so we can just ignore it.

Just downloaded BeerSmith 2 today and have been poking around. I looked at one of the two extract recipes they provide - the Muddy Pig Oatmeal Stout - and in the instructions it has a Mash Style. This is an extract recipe, I won't be mashing anything. I can't remove it or set it to No Mash because that's not an option. It was set to My Mash but when I was looking around I accidentally must have set it to something else. I can't reset it to My Mash because that's not an option in the drop down. I guess I could just ignore it but I prefer a cleaner look i.e., all the information I do need and none of the information that I don't need.

I guess I don't understand the problem... this is an extract w/ steeping grains recipe, right? I am not sure what your concern about mashing is... steep the specialty grains at 155 degrees F for 20-30 mins-ish and go for it.

I guess I don't understand the problem... this is an extract w/ steeping grains recipe, right? I am not sure what your concern about mashing is... steep the specialty grains at 155 degrees F for 20-30 mins-ish and go for it.

My concern is with the application showing me a MASH stage when this is an extract recipe. Why is it even in the interface? I don't have a problem per se, I know that I don't need to mash anything, I just don't know why that option is even there. I guess I like a cleaner interface where the only controls visible are those that you can actually use.

Cheers, Max

I would dont try to over think it. If it's telling your mash schedule it just when you add the grains or extract. I have been using beersmith for awhile now. I have no issues understanding the process between extract and all grain batches on BS.

I should say that I work in software quality assurance so it's my nature to be picky about how software works. To be clear, I was never under the impression that I needed to mash. I wasn't confused about the actual process. I was just curious as to why the application includes information in a recipes that is clearly not required. :) I'm just nit-picking (while also making sure that I am using the software correctly).

Isn't when you add barley to water mash? Think of extract as the hard work done for you because extract is or was malted barley and they had to mash the grains to get the extract. So in some degree beersmith is right I guess. lol please dont take this to heart. :tank:

Isn't when you add barley to water mash? Think of extract as the hard work done for you because extract is or was malted barley and they had to mash the grains to get the extract. So in some degree beersmith is right I guess. lol please dont take this to heart. :tank:

:mad: I'm not talking to you any more! ;) :mug:

Hey Guys,

Looks like I'm a little late getting to this party, but I have had a related, yet totally different problem with this recipe. [[aside: I just downloaded the free trial of BeerSmith today - as it seems some of you had a while back. I had to adjust some of the weights of the ingredients b/c my local brew store doesn't carry some of the SRMs the Rx called for...I was SUPER impressed with how easy it was to make those adjustments.]]

Anyway, I was merrily following the recipe until I realized that in the step-by-step print out, it called to add the oatmeal for 0 mins during the boil (i.e. at the very end)...Is this correct? I would think you'd be worried about contamination adding it at the end and not boiling for very long (if at all). I would also think that the oats sitting on the yeast in the fermenter could do some weird things. I noticed this with about 12 minutes to go on my boil (using the BeerSmith extract recipe it seems some of you ran across). I looked up other oatmeal stouts and 100% of them add the oatmeal while steeping the grains in the mash. Whoops!

What to do you ask? Well, I relaxed, didn't worry and had a homebrew, obviously. And then just ran with it...I dumped the pound of oatmeal in there as the timer dinged, let it continue to boil while I stirred it in, and added the whole lot to the fermenter. Ha!

Guess I'll plan on filtering them out when I rack it? Meaning that they'll sit for about 4 days on the primary. Any other suggestions?

Hope it turns out...this is an Xmas gift for my brother - who won't be the wiser until about New Years if it's gone south.

WjR

Back