don't judge me by the length of my dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I'm setting up a system with reconditioned pinlock kegs. I notice the liquid dip tubes extend to within 1/4" of the bottom of the keg. I have heard many people shortening the dip tube to prevent clogging due to yeast and other sediment. I don't filter so I expect to have somewhat of a yeast cake settling on the bottom. Are there any other reasons for/against shortening the tube, and how much should I take off?

I have never shortened the dip tube on my corny kegs. Some people don't like to have yeast sediment transferred into the glass when they serve a glass. Usually I will draw off the first partial pint and dump it due to excessive yeast sediment. After that I don't have any problems unless I move the keg around. I would say if you really feel the need to shorten the dip tube, go ahead. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I don't think it is that big of a deal.

cheers,
Brandon

I wouldn't shorten it... that means you leave drinkable beer in the bottom of the keg! :D

If you shorten it you will only end up with slightly less beer, but also less gunk at the start of the keg.

It's just a personal choice.

Try cold crashing your primary before transfer to your serving keg. This way you get very little sediment on the bottom of your serving keg since most of it will drop out in the primary. I haven't kegged very long but I have drank my first pull on every brew so far.

Ever since I started using a hop sock over the end of the siphon I get almost no sediment at the bottom. But I force Carb so I don't have to deal with the cake that is produced from naturally carbing

You could put a slight bend in the dip tube instead of actually cutting it. This way you could try things out and see what you like. Just keep in mind that different kegs have different bottoms so the required bends may not be the same. This really only matters if you start swapping dip tubes among kegs.

I second the cold crashing idea too and maybe throw in a little Knox gelatin to clarify as long as it's not a hefe or something.

I've found the discussion of cutting the tip to be a very polarizing issue. Some promote cutting the tip off for a cleaner and more aesthetic product. Others say it's an unnecessary procedure that no one should have to endure, and that natural can be quite aesthetic in itself. Either way, I think it's a very personal and permanent issue that you'll have to live with so the decision & ramifications are ultimately yours.

:D

Back