What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today but yesterday a buddy and I brewed 2 2.5 gallon smash ales 2 row citra and el dorado and also re used yeast for the first time and it was the first time we have two beers fermenting at the same time woooo so many firsts

That sounds (and looks) fascinating! I must try it! Can you give some details as to the recipe?

I used this recipe - http://snappyservicecafe.com/homebrewed-to-home-baked-spent-grain-bread/

I used all maple syrup (instead of agave) because I'm in VT. I would recommend substituting 1/2 cup of the white flour for another 1/2 cup of spent grains. Instead of throwing ice in the oven, I put a deep metal pan in the oven while heating and poured a cup of cold water in the pan after I put the bread in (on a stone). I baked it for 45 min. at 450.

Checked my primary when I got home last night and found bubbles at 12 hours post pitch! First time I've seen this much activity with wlp090 which usually has to go 3-4 days before outward signs of fermentation are noted.

Had to put a fan on the fermenter yesterday, temp shot up to 77F. Fan did the job though, getting the temp down to 70F.Initial fermentation with the rehydrated S-04 was rapid. Now it'll need time to clean up, undoubtedly.

Racked my Kolsch to kegs, racked my Mo'Citra IPA to secondary & dry hopped.
Cleaned up my jockey box from use over the weekend & all my empty fermentors.

After finding my Irish red I brewed on NHBD had gone up to 77F on Sunday, I trained my fan on it in 2nd gear. It went down to 70F yesterday, & down to 66F by this morning. It started life at 63F when I pitched the rehydrated S-04 on it. That yeast is usually pdq anyway. But I'll have to give it some clean up time this go around. I've had it finish & start clearing my ESB in 10 days flat before. From now on, I think I'll train that fan on the fermenters not too long after pitch time to keep the temps down.
But, to answer the question further, I got approved for a home depot credit card. So my tax money stays in my pocket & use the card for kitchen repairs. Mo' beer, mo' beer! :rockin:

Doing my First Dry Hopping, so I boiled 2 muslin bags, stuffed them with some Fuggles loose raw flowers, and hand tossed in the rest into my conical, interested in seeing how this will come out. 1 oz total went in.

Last two nights in a row I visited, and made a scientific inquiry, into two Bangalore brewpubs. Conclusion: the guys at Toits really know something about brewing - really great renditions of classic English IPA and Irish Red.

Brewed a Berliner and racked a golden sour last night. No boil and only cooling to around 90F really saves time on brew day, haha.

Got supplies for double brew day mango passion fruit wheat beer fermented with American ale yeast and a Berliner style sour using gigas fast souring lacto and finishing off fermentation with 001

Got a new toy to ph meter can't wait to use it oh and the heat pad and the large syphone but most excited for the ph meter
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431143458.934394.jpg

Stirplate going with the the American ale yeast with the best book ever ( maybe not but at the time and everything I have learned from it pretty good lol)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431143591.915774.jpg

Kegged a stout, racked a Trappist refectory ale to retrieve the wy3787, and dry-hopped a strong dark. Then I weeded the hop beds and cut out the runners.

Then I hit the taps.

Good day for beer-related activities...

Cheers! :mug:

I brewed my English Brown Ale recipe Chicken Chap Brown Ale and bottled/kegged my Anglish Sippah, my first English IPA...dayum I love clean Dry English Ale yeast finishes out..so clean.

Swapped out two kegs that kicked for a Dry Stout & JBI Blonde, re-plumbed my new Taprite regulator w/ new clamps w/ assistance from my LHBS, ordered a new keggle MLT w/ bottom drain & SS false bottom.

Straightening up the man cave/brewery a bit more this morning. Son & his fiance are coming over for mother's day for a bit to take pictures.

A cold front is supposed to come through starting wednesday for a couple days. So I'll be brewing my newer version of my whiskely stout. Also taking a 1st FG sample of the irish red.

Brewed an American wheat yesterday fermenting with American ale yeast then "dry fruiting" with fresh mango and passion fruit purée

Today will be brewing a Mother's Day request of a fast sour using gigas fast sour lacto and then finishing off the fermentation with 001 should be fun can't wait

I put myself in a bind.

Made my IPA last weekend and haven't had but 3 beers of my pipeline so far! And as any good home brewer knows, that means I'll have to double time the drinking to free up enough bottles to bottle that IPA.

The real bind is that I'm making a Scottish 80 today and will look to bottle in 3 weeks!

I guess I'll drink myself to bed, so I bitter start early each evening.

Picked up a 9gal pot, propane burner, and some yeast, hops and grain. Going to brew my first BIAB all grain batch tomorrow, BM Centennial Blonde. Can't wait!

Shipped out a beer for comparison purposes a lil bit ago. Gunna be cooler for a few days starting tomorrow, so maybe brew my whiskely stout then? Need a couple cooler days for initial fermentation.

Currently looking through a Blue Moon recipe. A friend of mine would like to try it out himself.

Let's see where this goes.

Latest posts

Back