Does yeast nutrient contain gluten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelbelt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've searched on Google, but I can't find a definitive answer; does yeast nutrient contain gluten? We keep a gluten-free house, as my wife and son are HIGHLY allergic, and I'd hate to make a wine she couldn't drink.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response, David. I'm still a bit of a noob. Can I use any GF dry yeast from the store (we have a Wegman's nearby that has a full GF baking section) or do I need to use brewing yeast? What do I do after I boil it? I've never made it from scratch before.

My last batch of wine (apple wine) got on fine without yeast nutrient, but this batch (local blackberries) started off slow and went downhill from there.

Thanks!

Thanks, Doc. David, can you tell me (or can you point me to a thread that does) what to do with the boiled yeast? I understand of course that that would kill the yeast, thereby providing hulls and such for the yeast in the wine to feed on. How long do I wait, etc?

Thanks!

Dead yeast are the best source of nutrients for yeast. Brewing dry yeasts are grown in GF media, unlike most liquid yeasts, so by boiling some dry yeast (5-10 minutes) you provide everything your selected yeast needs for growth.

(I wasn't around last weekend.)

Back