Now, I'm no doctor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimJones

Reaction score
But I think this might be mold. Here's a giant picture, hopefully one of you intelligent fellows could enlighten me.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...isp=inline&realattid=1343731094147563520-1&zw

I thought I did alright on sanitation, BUT... My friend and I had the brilliant idea of adding oak into our grain bag during the steeping process, which may have been our downfall. Theres no off smell, although it does smell a little fruity. It's my second batch, by the way, so I don't know much.

Yikes, here we go

secondbatch.jpg

Looks like it might be a bit of an infection. You may be all right by racking from underneath though. How long does it have to go before bottling?

it's been a week since i brewed it, and its the first day of secondary fermentation. what exactly does "rack from the bottom" mean? I entered the world of home brewing about a month ago.

Yeah, I only said it "might" be an infection. Don't do anything drastic. Are those floaties as white as they look in the pic?

By racking from underneath, I just mean stopping the siphon before the stuff on the top gets too low, and stays in the carboy.

I'm pretty positive its not air bubbles. It almost looks like oil slicks sitting on the surface. It smells spot-on like stone brewing's oaked bastard ale now but in the first few days of fermentation the smell coming from the air lock was a little sour. That's the best picture I can get though, I'm just workin with cell phone pic's right now!

Oh I know, I've been trying to stay calm about it! I just wanted input from someone a little more knowledgable than i am. They are pretty white now that I double checked

Did it look something like this?
4564453256_90e1bf1bb0_o.jpg

I had this happen to me and freaked out the first time I used a glass carboy and could see the fermentation in action. I thought that it looked just like oil slicks also, beer turned out fine. There was no infection. You should probably just leave it alone and let it do it's business.

Yeah, way to early to panic. Take a good close look and see if you can identify them as bubbles.

Here are some pics for your amusement. If it starts looking like some of these, then you have a right to worry. ;)

Look at Korndogs first pic, that looks OK, and maybe similar to yours.

Back