Possible Recipes with current Ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMaltPoet

Reaction score
I am running low on grain, but I would like to brew a batch this week with the grain and hops I have on hand.

Grain:
5lbs of 2 row
.5lbs of Vienna
1lb of 60L
.5lbs of roasted barley

Hops:
1 oz Amarillo
7.5 oz Centennial
7.5 oz Cascade
8 oz Columbus
8 oz of Willamette

I know my base grain is a bit low for my grain bill but you think I could get away with something without having to purchase some more base?

If you drop your batch to 3gal or less, just varying the amounts of crystal and RB can give you a whole range of styles. What yeast do you have on hand or what style are you looking for?

sounds like an irish red ale to me, if you drop the RB down to 2 or 3 oz, and scale your batch size to produce an OG around 1.050.

Bitter with Willamette to ~25 IBU's, and use ~1/2 oz at 10 mins or so.

Have Notty yeast.
Was thinking about dropping my batch size to maybe 3 gallons, but It bothers me not filling a keg up. I guess it is just an OCD thing.

Have Notty yeast.
Was thinking about dropping my batch size to maybe 3 gallons, but It bothers me not filling a keg up. I guess it is just an OCD thing.

English mild (something like 5lb pale, 0.75lb C60, 0.75lb demerara sugar, willy hopped) or 60 schilling (something like 5lb pale, 0.5lb vienna, 0.5-1lb c60, touch of RB, willy hopped) is always an option then if you want to fill the keg.

2 row, vienna, 60L, and your high alpha hops will make a good IPA

2 row, vienna, 60L and cascades/high alphas -- American Pale Ale

or

Add a smidgen of roasted and switch to williamettes and it could be a nice red...

+1 3 gal or less.

Have Notty yeast.

I probably wouldn't use the roasted barley. The 3 or 5 gal batch really depends on your efficiency. With good efficiency you could do 5 gallons and make something close to 4% ABV. So other out-of-the-box ideas - you could use honey, molasses, minute rice to boost gravity. You could make lighter beer by adding some amylaze enzyme towards the end of fermentation. Or you could just make a mild. Don't think any of those are optimal, but just wanted to throw in some ideas you may have not considered.

Use all malt except only 4 oz of Roast Barley, steal your kids oatmeal for more gravity points, and hop it like an American Brown ale.

Grab some rice from the cabinet and some oatmeal and you got yourself a 5 gallon batch!

Back