My ridiculously easy stir plate build - nearly no tools needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiller

Reaction score
I'll skip the obvious stuff that is covered in multiple threads already. If you haven't already read Anthony's excellent https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

First is my fan in the enclosure I selected. The box contained these foam'ish inserts from it's previous life. During my testing the fan ran pretty good without even being attached, I just hot glued it to the foam ;) Heck elmers glue would probably work. This configuration left the magnet about 0.5 below the top of the box when closed, which seems to work pretty good for my stirbar.

IMG_4424.JPG

I dremeled out a notch for the cable from the fan when the box is closed. Could have easily used a wood file, or less easily a fingernail file. Or for that matter heated a nail on a stove burner and burned the notch.

IMG_4425.JPG

I opted to use a variable power supply I had laying around. Voltage is switchable from 1.5-12 volts in 1.5 volt increments (excluding 10.5v).

IMG_4429.JPG

Looking at the tip of the power supply I realized that the pin diameter was about the same as the pin in the molex connector on the fan so...

IMG_4421.JPG

The rubber band pulls the connector over to make contact with the next connector completing the circuit. I wasn't really satisfied with the rubber band solution though and since the tip is removable (the power supply originally came with a variety of tips) and the fan also had the standard three pin motherboard connector so version two of the connection was born

IMG_1199.JPG

It requires a little fineness with a pair of pliers and a couple bits cut from a paperclip. There are small kinks in the wires to make them snug in the larger openings of the power supply and a bend in one of the wires to make it line up with the middle wire on the fan connector. Obviously with exposed wires hanging out of the end of the power supply like that you won't want to plug it into the wall unless it is plugged into the fan first.

IMG_1202.JPG

And the money shot. This is running at 9v (stirbar gets thrown at 12v) when I run it at 3v it pulls the dimple down about one inch. At 1.5v the fan stalls out.

IMG_4420.JPG

If you made it this far thanks for taking the time to read.

love it.

where did you get the box from? Would we be able to get one from somewhere?

Nice! One of these days I'll have to get me a fancy flask for my stirplate.

In hindsight I almost regret buying the flask. I should put up a pic of my alternative. it is a flower vase like this one. With the one I have one Liter fills it to the widest part which leaves a lot of surface area for o2 absorption. When I get a chance I'll post a pic of it running with the vase.

Nice and easy! I may have a free stirplate from my dad's photography lab coming if my mom can find it. If that is not found I will build my own like yours.

Nice and easy! I may have a free stirplate from my dad's photography lab coming if my mom can find it. If that is not found I will build my own like yours.

Thanks for your kind comments, I would have replied sooner but I'm just back at a computer since some minor surgery last week.

The one thing I would add is that originally I thought the magnet would be strong enough to stick to the washer without help, but ultimately the magnet began to drift a bit, so I had to use a little glue to make sure it stays centered.

love it, i made mine about two years ago... come to think of it i think i hot glued it to the enclosure too... just used it last week for a mead starter... still works GREAT.... nice job.

Is there a cheap fan you'd recommend? I don't really have one laying around >_> and they're still cheaper than buying a plate.
Then I've got a 1 gal jug I use for starters, would this be acceptable on the plate?
And finally, would I need a case or could I get away with gluing the fan to thin sheet of plastic(I'm thinking a hunk of a CD case)

Is there a cheap fan you'd recommend? I don't really have one laying around >_> and they're still cheaper than buying a plate.
Then I've got a 1 gal jug I use for starters, would this be acceptable on the plate?
And finally, would I need a case or could I get away with gluing the fan to thin sheet of plastic(I'm thinking a hunk of a CD case)

Lot of folks take one out of an old computer, it is a case fan. I bought one new at a local computer shop this one.

As far as a gallon jug, I think some people have used jugs like that, the flatter the bottom the better though. I really need to get a pic up of my alternate container which is a flower vase.

As long as there is space between the plastic and the magnet so the magnet is not rubbing against the plastic. SeaBee John did one where he just used a fan guard with the center cut out.

Ok, I'm in the process of building one of these, but have a major question/issue. My hard drive magnets are stuck to two steel plates. I tried to pry them off. They must be glued. How have others removed the magnets from the holders?

Grab both ends of the metal (not the magnet) with pliers and slowly bend, generally the magnet will just pop right off.

Ok, I'm in the process of building one of these, but have a major question/issue. My hard drive magnets are stuck to two steel plates. I tried to pry them off. They must be glued. How have others removed the magnets from the holders?

Toughen up just a little bit cupcake, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to get mine off.

Just a quick update. Received a 5L flask for my birthday. The thicker glass made it hard for my original setup to couple to the stir bar very well. I added a pair of disc magnets I had laying around to the top of the hard drive magnet. In the initial test the magnetic force lifted the fan (and the padded insert it was glued to) up to the top of the enclosure rendering the fan unable to spin :cross: added some more hot glue to keep everything where it should be and I can now pull a vortex to the bottom of the 5L flask should I want to.

Here is a pic running at 9 volts, it is hard to tell from the pic but everything under the krusean is swirling around nicely.

CIMG0270.jpg

Love this...I have several old computer fans and hard drive magnets lying around. I need to pick up a stirbar and do my next starter right!

Latest posts

Back