I Dont get it...please explain to me how..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I bought 5gls of water to make my next patch of beer...how do I end up with almost 6gls after 40min of boiling in my primary. I boiled with 2 gls and put the other 3 in my primary...Once I poured the boiled wort I ended up with almost 6gls....I dont get it..

I am sure you added extract to your boil which can be any where from 3 to 8 lbs. of thick solution disolved into your original 2 gallons.

you added liquid malt extract I am guessing. Add the X# of pounds of LME to your volume. I think 3.3lbs LME is ~0.5gals. I could be off on that but I would venture a guess that is where your extra volume is.

Similar results if you are using DME

Your math is off somewhere...2+3!=6

edit: or you are an extract brewer and I am too retarted to realize that.

I bought 5gls of water to make my next patch of beer...how do I end up with almost 6gls after 40min of boiling in my primary. I boiled with 2 gls and put the other 3 in my primary...Once I poured the boiled wort I ended up with almost 6gls....I dont get it..

hmm... maybe you didnt lose that much to evaporation. That coupled with all the extract added, might have kicked you over the 5 gal mark..

Along with what everyone else said, there could be some hops taking up some space, as well as your bucket or carboy not being properly calibrated

It is also possible that the 5 gallons of water you purchased was a bit more than 5 gallons. I think those bottles are a little bigger than 5 gallons. Did you measure it, or did you rely on the bottle quantity?

I did use hopped liquid malt extract 3.3lb...plus some aroma hops. so the fact that I ended up with 6 gls is that going to affect the alcohol volume? my SG was 1.050 and after 5 days my reading is 10.20...

It is also possible that the 5 gallons of water you purchased was a bit more than 5 gallons. I think those bottles are a little bigger than 5 gallons. Did you measure it, or did you rely on the bottle quantity?

Yea, I marked a 'gallon' water jug to use to measure sanitizer using a liquid measuring cup, and the 1gal mark is way below the top of the jug. I was surprised.

Latest posts

Back