will unfilterd juice clear up ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalal

Reaction score
I started a few batches of cider using store bought unfilterd apple juice with no preservatives. I used 1g of S-04 per batch/gallon in all of them. Two batches had no sugars, and 2 more I added 200g of brown sugar. They started fermenting in 24 hours and finished bubbling in under 2 weeks. Once they stopped, I racked them to a fresh carboy and moved them to a dark closet with temperatures the 65-70F range. They have been in there for 2 weeks now, and they are not clearing (much?). Is that normal for unfiltered juice ?

I am using this juice which came in a great 1 gallon carboy that I am using to ferment in:
http://naturaldirections.com/nd-products/495-2/

I have done a few ciders and I have one tap right that is very yummy. I did not add any pectic enzyme and it took a while to clear - a month- 6 weeks at 38 degrees- but now it is very clear. Cold and time will clear it, but cloudy or clear it is still yummy :mug:

I have done a few ciders and I have one tap right that is very yummy. I did not add any pectic enzyme and it took a while to clear - a month- 6 weeks at 38 degrees- but now it is very clear. Cold and time will clear it, but cloudy or clear it is still yummy :mug:

Unfortunately I don't have a way to cool it to 38. Would room temperature not work ?

Put the carboy in a plastic tub and surround it with ice. 24-48 hours might do the trick. Then rack it leaving lees behind.

You can still add pectic enzyme to speed up clearing, but it takes longer to work once there's alcohol in the picture. I've seen recommendations to double the normal dose when adding it post-ferment.

And obviously PE won't solve the problem if it's just not done yet. It can take quite a while. So it partly depends on if the cloudiness is from yeast still in suspension, or if it's a "pectic haze". Filtered juice always clears for me without PE, btw.

if you have 1/2 gallon or gallon jugs you can siphon some off and put in the refrigerator and let it sit and see how it clears. Without chilling it will eventually clear on its own but might take 3-4 months or longer.

If you can spare some space in your fridge for 3-4 day. You can add some unflavored gelatin cold crash your carboys. It should be crystal clear and 3-4 days. Then rack to serving vessel (bottle, keg what ever). I use 1/2tsp in 2/3 cup 155 degree water for 5-6 gallons. 3-4 days better than months.

If you can spare some room in your fridge for 3-4 days you and and some unflavored gelatin to your brews and then cold crash them. It should be crystal clear in a few days not months. I use 1/2 tsp devolved in 155 degree water for 5-6 gallons. Once clear rack to serving vessel and store how you want

Is gelatin needed when you cold crash? I'm looking to rack my cider (first attempt) to a secondary then eventually place it out in my garage for a few days. In Western NY this time of year is pretty cold so I think it would work great as a way to cold crash it.

I'm trying to do a simple cider and have it as my baseline. Fresh cider from the local orchard & Nottingham yeast. I don't want to add anything else to it to have an idea of what it's like. This is why I ask if the gelatin is needed. Although I plan to use the carbonation tabs when it's time to bottle to give it some carbonization.

I put a couple of carboys in the garage where it is in the 40-50F range, and one started to clear about a day later. This might do the trick this time of the year, but I might need a different plan for the warmer months.

Back