igloo cube pimp out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayerischBier

Reaction score
Hi there,
no this is not another replication of the various igloo cube builds.
I hope this adds a bit different view: I digged into the cube threads
thus I wanted to increase mash capacity for big beers. In the mix of
stainless braids, cpvc or copper manifolds, or the few false bottoms, this is
what I came up with.

img_01771-56393.jpg

1/2" port brass valve with rotated lever handle. Other wise the handle gets stucked at the cube. Part of the original igloo is used as a washer. Teflontapped 1" brass nipple piece inside. 1/2" quick disconnect from McMasters.

img_01761-56394.jpg

1/2" female cpvc connection with the two washer/rubber gasket.

img_01781-56395.jpg

with a copper 90deg elbow and the custom cut stainless steel false bottom.
I will extend from the elbow with a 1/2" copper tube through the false bottom. But before that I will replace the book with a set of 6-32 x3/4" stainleass screws to maintain enough space under the false bottom. the original idea was to add a braid eventually.... I might opt out to 6-32 1/2" or shorter after some testing.

EDITS:
Well, I think I am done and ready to run MLT2.0
image-2268341834-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

"dip tube" with 1/2" elbow and a short piece of copper pipe.
I use the copper scrubby similar to the stainless steel braid in other threads. In fact is covers the (too wide cut-out in the false bottom) and should "filter" some of the loose grain which might get passed the false bottom etc.
False bottom with a series of #6 x 3/4" scews as spacers (and a good scrubbing with Barkeeper's friend).
Might be too much space but rough measures of 11X15" and with the tube in 45deg angle (causing a 3/8" inlet height) I get about 62 cubicinch (0.27gal) deadspace - acceptable.
A different dip tube would reduce this space for sure. But I'm ok with it for right now.

and here the whole thing. You can see how the scrubby is around the tube and even sticks out a bit to close the really bad cut out.
in the top corner you can see a screw upsidedown enabling to pull the falsebottom out of the cooler (might change this to an eye-bolt)

image-3529100052-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

MLT2.0 will get a bath with PBW and hot water soon - ready for the next brew day!
EDIT end------
any thoughts and comments?

Very cool! I have been thinking about changing up my Cube mash tun, ad this may be the route that I go. How much did that false bottom set you back? And how has it worked out so far?

Neat idea, but as a CPVC manifold igloo brewer with 89% efficiency I have to ask: what's the improvement here? It seems more difficult to clean and it is certainly more expensive. I'm not trying to nay-say a very interesting build, I'm curious what motivated you to go this route.

Set me back in which way?
I took me forever to build it - not in build time (one afternoon) but in time to find for a build and change in setup. On top of that I moved and rearranged my electric kitchen brewing.
did a xmas beer on it recently and was a bit under the OG as estimated. but I guess that was more caused getting used to the new setup than the cube.

Very cool! I have been thinking about changing up my Cube mash tun, ad this may be the route that I go. How much did that false bottom set you back? And how has it worked out so far?

The stainless wasn't really too cheap I admit. around $40 a whole sheet (i have about a letter size piece left)

In terms of cleaning, this really rocks! dump the grains, pull the copper pipe from the "valve-connect", pull the bottom, and rinse everything with hot water. No complicated assembly or dissambly. for that it was worth it.

Done one brew on the new setup yet, so not really sure where efficiency will dial in.

Main reason was the need for more MLT space for big beers and even a double batch. Did not like the manifold or braided solutions too much. fact, I get all flat area in the cube covered with the false bottom and for the few grains which might sneak by on the sides I have the copper-scrubby at the intake. No grains in the Vorlauf at all!

Neat idea, but as a CPVC manifold igloo brewer with 89% efficiency I have to ask: what's the improvement here? It seems more difficult to clean and it is certainly more expensive. I'm not trying to nay-say a very interesting build, I'm curious what motivated you to go this route.

Stainless steel bolts with stainless nuts. see above "#6 x 3/4" scews".
used a drill to widen the whole on the false bottom.
Could reduce the height a bit but its working fine.

Are those just pop rivets used to elevate off the bottom?

Hi there,
no this is not another replication of the various igloo cube builds.
I hope this adds a bit different view: I digged into the cube threads
thus I wanted to increase mash capacity for big beers. In the mix of
stainless braids, cpvc or copper manifolds, or the few false bottoms, this is
what I came up with.

img_01771-56393.jpg

1/2" port brass valve with rotated lever handle. Other wise the handle gets stucked at the cube. Part of the original igloo is used as a washer. Teflontapped 1" brass nipple piece inside. 1/2" quick disconnect from McMasters.

img_01761-56394.jpg

1/2" female cpvc connection with the two washer/rubber gasket.

img_01781-56395.jpg

with a copper 90deg elbow and the custom cut stainless steel false bottom.
I will extend from the elbow with a 1/2" copper tube through the false bottom. But before that I will replace the book with a set of 6-32 x3/4" stainleass screws to maintain enough space under the false bottom. the original idea was to add a braid eventually.... I might opt out to 6-32 1/2" or shorter after some testing.

EDITS:
Well, I think I am done and ready to run MLT2.0
image-2268341834-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

"dip tube" with 1/2" elbow and a short piece of copper pipe.
I use the copper scrubby similar to the stainless steel braid in other threads. In fact is covers the (too wide cut-out in the false bottom) and should "filter" some of the loose grain which might get passed the false bottom etc.
False bottom with a series of #6 x 3/4" scews as spacers (and a good scrubbing with Barkeeper's friend).
Might be too much space but rough measures of 11X15" and with the tube in 45deg angle (causing a 3/8" inlet height) I get about 62 cubicinch (0.27gal) deadspace - acceptable.
A different dip tube would reduce this space for sure. But I'm ok with it for right now.

and here the whole thing. You can see how the scrubby is around the tube and even sticks out a bit to close the really bad cut out.
in the top corner you can see a screw upsidedown enabling to pull the falsebottom out of the cooler (might change this to an eye-bolt)

image-3529100052-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

MLT2.0 will get a bath with PBW and hot water soon - ready for the next brew day!
EDIT end------
any thoughts and comments?

I am sorry to inform you of this sir, but it appears you have left reading material under the screen . Jk looks nice

Back