siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrewster

Reaction score
When transferring to my bottling bucket, how deep do I put my siphon tube considering I can't see how deep the soot on the bottom of the fermenter is? I'm assuming I don't want to suck up any of that stuff.

You definately want to minimize the amount of stuff you suck up. Use a paint strainer from Home Depot/lowe's over the end of the racking cane as a filter. If you don't have a clear fermenter, you'll just have to guess where the bottom is. Usually there is about 1-2" of trub on the bottom.

Are you not using a racking cane with an end cap? I have a bucket with a spigot for primary, so I only use my racking can to take it out of 2ndary. So, my layer of sediment is very thin.

I'll try the paint strainer thing. I'm sure I have a deeper layer than my racking cane can protect against. I made a sierra nevada clone which uses several ounces of hops of which only half I stained from wort. Thanks guys

What I do is start my siphon with the tip about 1/2 way down into the beer. When I can see the tip, I lower it. I do this about three times, and stop when I am just above the trub (you can see into the beer a couple of inches) and I tilt it to one side, so that most of the clear beer is easily siphoned off. This always works well for me.

What I do is start my siphon with the tip about 1/2 way down into the beer. When I can see the tip, I lower it. I do this about three times, and stop when I am just above the trub (you can see into the beer a couple of inches) and I tilt it to one side, so that most of the clear beer is easily siphoned off. This always works well for me.

Thanks, common sense prevails I suppose. Worst case senerio my beer is just a little more hazy and hoppy. Neither of which I mind. Thanks, Rob

Where possible it's a good idea to tilt the container before you go to rack it... So when you move it to the spot you'll be racking from set it on a book or something and leave it settle...

Back