American IPA Mad Hatter IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Mad Hatter A clone of the New Holland Brew
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American IPA Brewer: OhioDad
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (45 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (2 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.064 SG (1.056-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 63.9 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 23.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.39 % (5.50-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.27 %
Actual Calories: 283 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 12.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.35 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

This was one of the smoothest easy drinking IPAs I've ever made. I think it is very close to Mad Hatter IPA on tap. All of my friends raved about it and it scored in the mid 30's in the AHA regionals. Give it a try!
Cheers!
Scott

I think I'll give this a try. I lived in Holland for about 10 years and hung around at New Holland Brewing when they were in just starting out in a little dive of a place. They make some good beer there.

I think I'll give this a try. I lived in Holland for about 10 years and hung around at New Holland Brewing when they were in just starting out in a little dive of a place. They make some good beer there.

BrianP,
I think you will like it... It is very close to the original and it is fantastic tasting!! Let me know what you think when you get to the tasting...
Cheers!
Scott

I had the actual MadHatter for the first time and I like your recipe better.

Interesting that you say that.. I believe that there is a big difference between the commercial version of this beer in a bottle and on tap.. Whenever I get this in a bottle here in Ohio it seems to have lost a lot of the hop punch that I get from it on tap. I think my recipe compares more to what it tastes like on tap! Glad you like it though! Making me thirsty to brew it again soon!

Interesting that you say that.. I believe that there is a big difference between the commercial version of this beer in a bottle and on tap.. Whenever I get this in a bottle here in Ohio it seems to have lost a lot of the hop punch that I get from it on tap. I think my recipe compares more to what it tastes like on tap! Glad you like it though! Making me thirsty to brew it again soon!

I should have said that I had the bottle version of this beer and I agree about the taste dropping off at the end.

Made another batch of this today. Got some fresh Zeus and Centennial hops from Freshhops. I cannot begin to tell you how good it smelled cooking! This is quickly becoming my most brewed recipe!

Oh my goodness this beer is so good. Ummmmmm.....the best beer I've brewed thus far. Thanks Ohiodad!

Oh my goodness this beer is so good. Ummmmmm.....the best beer I've brewed thus far. Thanks Ohiodad!

Glad you liked it!! Looking forward to popping the first cap on my latest batch this weekend!! This one always turns out great! Cheers!

Just brewed this with Zeus and Centennial from Freshops as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I used this recipe as a base for an extract version, and it turned out great. Just tried the first bottle yesterday after 1-1/2 weeks of conditioning.

7.5 lbs. american light liquid extract (I used William's for this. Their american light is very light and clean. No extract twang. Great base extract)
.75 lbs. munich liquid extract

steeped 1/2 lb. crystal 15, and 1/2 lb. crystal 40 at 155 for 30 minutes.

I followed the hop schedule given in the original post (I used a full boil, started with 5.5 gals water).

I used Wyeast American Ale II with a small starter, and fermented at 68-69.

This batch was just a touch (not much really) darker, and sweeter than mad hatter, but that's how I like higher IBU IPA's. Try Wyeast 1056, and lower fermentation temp for a slightly dryer/cleaner finish. Could also drop the crystal 40, and use all 10 or 15 instead to lighten a bit. I used the 40/15 combo to try to replicate the carapils/caramunich combo the author posted. I've heard conflicting opinions on how to best utilize carapils and caramunich, but many indicate that a mash is best.

Anyway, use this as you will. It made for one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Very well balanced.

Solid recipe IMO, it has been awhile since I Mad Hatter, I have no comparison, but as far as IPA's go; Brew it.

Opinion (on this recipe): Nice American IPA, good backbone has some malt, hopped nicely - not for the weak at heart but not over the top. Good Balance.

I should be in tasting region this summer for the original, but as I taste this recipe I think you should punt the the clone title and pull your own on this one.

Cheers!

I think this will be my next batch. Any preference for using Zeus over Columbus?

Well, Zeus wasn't an option so I stuck with Columbus. However, Centennial also wasn't an option, so I decided to try Bravo. I could have went with Chinook but I never tried Bravo, I'll see how it turns out.

Made this last weekend, hit the OG on the button, but I added .5lb of Honey malt!! fermenting right now @ 63 with S-05 --Cant wait to try this, I'm getting burnt out on the heavier IPA's I have been making, (I'm gonna need stretchy pants soon) should be a nice change of taste.
I BIAB and think I have the process down after 4 batches.

I had a few too many of these last night. They had no business serving me the Mad Hatters all night on an out of town trip to Chicago. Found your recipe and can not wait to try it. Thank you for the recipe!

ohiodad said:
Mad Hatter A clone of the New Holland Brew
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American IPA Brewer: OhioDad
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (45 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (2 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.064 SG (1.056-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color
Bitterness: 63.9 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 23.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.39 % (5.50-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.27 %
Actual Calories: 283 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 12.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.35 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

I haven't had the original but I am looking for a double hatter clone or something close to it. Any advise on bumping this up to the double? I don't know how the original compares to the double but I assume it is the same malts hops and yeast just different amounts.

I haven't had the original but I am looking for a double hatter clone or something close to it. Any advise on bumping this up to the double? I don't know how the original compares to the double but I assume it is the same malts hops and yeast just different amounts.

Imperial Hatter is a bit more complicated than just doubling everything IMO. Its also got a pretty aggressive dry hop that makes it a largely different beer. Try emailing the brewer Jason Salas. He has helped me on cloning a couple of their brews.

Latest posts

Back