Smoking Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyP

Reaction score
Now before you make any sort of judgment, please hear me out for one moment. I was making a 90 min. IPA yesterday evening. I was imitating the dogfish head method of continually adding hops over the course of the boil. I placed all my hops in large glass, and shook them up to get them mixed up, allowing for a good sampling of each hop every time I threw a couple pellets in the boil. Any ways, there was a decent amount of powdered hops left in the bottom of the glass, or "shake" if you would call it that. I'm not particularly fond of smoking cigarettes, but my roommate has been rolling his own (w/ a filter) for the last month or so, and they're pretty tasty. So, after some thought and a few beers, I figured "why not?" My roommate put some of the hop shake in with his tobacco and rolled a nice cigarette. Honestly, it wasn't bad. I think the tobacco was still over powering, but it had a nice aroma and some of the hoppy taste was there. I'm not sure what the harms are of smoking hops, but I don't think it's something I'm going to do on a regular basis. I just thought I'd share, and was interested to see if anyone else has tried this out.

I got bored (and curious) one weekend and put some year old chinook in my hookah with some vanilla flavored tobacco.

Didn't taste good. Didn't taste bad. Just tasted like smoking a flower. Would not do it again. Does not get you 'high' at all.

It is only vaguely related to pot. I thought you were putting them in a smoker to make a smoked porter or something.

cheezydemon said:
...I thought you were putting them in a smoker to make a smoked porter or something.

What I was thinking as well.

I've read that smoking hops can give a relaxed state similar to cannabis (try erowid.org for more info).

I've tried it, it's not unpleasent taste-wise but a whole hop 'joint' didn't touch me.

I even had a whole lot of lupulin glands in the bottom of my hop dryer that I scraped up and 'spotted'. Again nothing.

I have also heard making a strong hop tea will give some relaxation but I haven't tried it.

It doesn't surprise me that the hops have some psychoactive ingredients.

Maybe it's just me but a beer drinking buzz is quite different than the buzz I get from consuming an equivalent amount of alcohol in other non-beer drinks.

Apparently the hop pickers are very chatty in the middle of the day and then all asleep at the end of the day just from the absorbtion of the oils through their hands.

denimglen said:
Apparently the hop pickers are very chatty in the middle of the day and then all asleep at the end of the day just from the absorbtion of the oils through their hands.

Your Kidding? lol

Yeah I was thinking Smoking in a smoker, not pothead style. I image a really low temp maybe like 110-120 would work the best. I used to work for Smokey Bones BBQ and a few times we would smoke apples and make smoked apple sauce with cinnamon..YUM!!:off: :rockin:

What I was thinking as well.

I've read that smoking hops can give a relaxed state similar to cannabis (try erowid.org for more info).

I've tried it, it's not unpleasent taste-wise but a whole hop 'joint' didn't touch me.

I even had a whole lot of lupulin glands in the bottom of my hop dryer that I scraped up and 'spotted'. Again nothing.

I have also heard making a strong hop tea will give some relaxation but I haven't tried it.

It doesn't surprise me that the hops have some psychoactive ingredients.

Maybe it's just me but a beer drinking buzz is quite different than the buzz I get from consuming an equivalent amount of alcohol in other non-beer drinks.

I'm not a smoker, besides occasional cigar, but curiosity got the best of me since this is the first year I had home grown cascade hops. Tried it out and like above, it didn't really do anything. It certainly did not taste bad and was enjoyable to a point, but in the end didn't really do anything --- not that I had any big dreams it was going to. I probably won't waste the hops going forward.

I take hop baths. I chuck a few pellets in when running the water. It's very relaxing but not a high. They're really good for your skin, anxiety, and can relax you :)

I take hop baths. I chuck a few pellets in when running the water. It's very relaxing but not a high. They're really good for your skin, anxiety, and can relax you :)

Haha. This is the funniest thing I've read all day.. "Hmm, thursday...That's Mosaic day".

Back