Ever lose a brew day to a hangover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I had a big weekend planned this past weekend. I had a birthday party Saturday afternoon, followed by a running race with my wife, then a night of beers and visiting with family. Sunday morning I had planned to brew a Black IPA, and Sunday afternoon was earmarked to help my wife with yardwork.

Well, my brother-in-law and I ended up sampling a few more craft beers and homebrew than I had intended, and it was 10:30 AM before I managed to drag my sorry butt out of bed Sunday morning. I felt like death warmed over, but managed to get my legs back under me by 2:00 PM, in time to help my wife with the yardwork.

In short, the brew didn't happen. It's throwing off my schedule a little bit, and I may attempt a weekday evening brew session (never tried it before) to get back on schedule.

It was a beautiful day too... would've been perfect for brewing. I feel like an idiot. Anyone else ever blown a brew day due to a hangover?

I have missed a few, and also brewed on some pretty nasty hangovers. It's all part of the process. If I didn't want to get drunk once in a while I probably wouldn't bother brewing.

I have come close, but I powered through it with a little hair of the dog. Head ache sucked moving full carboys and kegs but hey...There are only 2 days in a weekend....I can rest at work!

This was me yesterday. Started bottling and brewing at 7am....1/2 way through at about 11 I found myself in the middle of a huge migraine. By 3 I was back in bed.

LOL....I missed a group brew day yesterday. I woke up at 9:30 tired with a splitting headache. My GF was having people over to the pool for lunch, so I had the following choice:

1) Load up all my brew stuff into the van, head over to the LHBS when it opened at 10:00 to get grain, since I was out at home, then spend 5-6 hours brewing in 96F sun.

2) Go back to sleep for an hour then float/nap on a float in the pool with a hair of the dog homebrew cider and four girls from my GF's retail mall job.

I chose #2 :mug:

Experiencing it right now, although its raining and i could of set up under the awning. I went out to the north fork yesterday, what we like to call long island wine country!! Me and SWMBO had a full day of tastings at 5 different wineries, a great little barn that does flights just opened up also, best part id they only have long island craft on tap.

Lets just say today there was lots of food and tv!

If you had chose #1 id have wandered about you. Actually no id still have wandered about the four chics in the pool, to hell with wandering bout you haha. :D. Btw pics or it didn't happen.

No. But I have missed a flight to my cousin's wedding because I was too drunk to wake up for the 5:00am alarm to get to the airport!

Never again have I let myself get that drunk when I have something to do the next morning.

LOL....I missed a group brew day yesterday. I woke up at 9:30 tired with a splitting headache. My GF was having people over to the pool for lunch, so I had the following choice:

1) Load up all my brew stuff into the van, head over to the LHBS when it opened at 10:00 to get grain, since I was out at home, then spend 5-6 hours brewing in 96F sun.

2) Go back to sleep for an hour then float/nap on a float in the pool with a hair of the dog homebrew cider and four girls from my GF's retail mall job.

I chose #2 :mug:

I'm curious as to how this counts as 'losing' anything?

I had to cancel this Sunday's brewday. Had our housewarming Saturday, up until 5am, woke up at 2pm Sunday, first time in years I've slept past noon. No way I was doing anything outside.

I refuse to not do something because I chose to overdrink the night before. If I have something planned for the next day, it'll get done. If I choose to drink myself into a brain-echoing hangover, then I also chose to live with that pain the following day.

Only loose them because of weather,... An when Mrs. Bob says I gotta do something else. :mad:

pb

Before I moved I would loose them to rain all the time...Now that I have a different location/setup (back porch is covered) and soon my metal building will be ready!! Probably another 2 or 3 brews on the porch then I will be moving to a 20 x 20 building...

No. Im a stubborn bastard, I'll brew while trying not to toss cookies.

I also work myself into this pipeline scarcity frenzy..."must brew, must brew" regardless of how fat my pipeline is.

yep... But had a beer to curb the hangover at 8 am it was hard but once i put 2 down i was alot better. Im happy i did cut the pale ale i brewed that day came out great. Drinking it now, CHEERS!

Before I moved I would loose them to rain all the time...Now that I have a different location/setup (back porch is covered) and soon my metal building will be ready!! Probably another 2 or 3 brews on the porch then I will be moving to a 20 x 20 building...

I'm hoping to get a house with a garage in the next couple of years. Garage or walkout basement, either would work. Both might be better. ;)

pb

Btw pics or it didn't happen.

In REAL life, I was way to lazy to pick up a camera. However, for the sake of the Interwebs, to the best of my recollection, it looked just like this:

pool-of-hot-chicks-300x180.jpg

But is was probably closer to this:

as_water_aerobics.jpg

I refuse to not do something because I chose to overdrink the night before. If I have something planned for the next day, it'll get done. If I choose to drink myself into a brain-echoing hangover, then I also chose to live with that pain the following day.

This is pretty much how I function as well. I may try to find time to take a nap sometime during the day, but if it's a brew day we're talking about, I'm still up by 7am and forcing my way through the motions.

Lots of coffee and this dog hair stuff works really well to get back in working order.

Never have, I work through my hangovers.

Only a pansy will refuse to pay the price for their over indulgences.

Not to a hangover, but I lost my last brew day to a breakup with my now ex-girlfriend (lived with her at her house). Probably won't be able to brew again until late this month, if I'm lucky.

A hangover would have been much easier.

Planning a brew for tomorrow morning, but I've been enjoying a mix of my homebrews plus local craft beers all night. Let's see if I can wake up in 6 hours and get the propane burner going. :)

The brew went perfectly, I was a little low on my gravity (gonna double-mill from now on), and I got it cooled down to 58° F with my plate chiller and my old IC in a cooler of ice water. Unfortunately, I then learned a costly lesson.

I brew in my garage. The floor is concrete. I know better than to set a glass carboy directly on the concrete, I've heard enough horror stories. So I always set my carboy on top of something. This morning, I set it on a little empty box (maybe 6" tall and 12" square), and began siphoning beer into it.

As I was cleaning my plate chiller, it happened. The box was plenty sturdy enough to support an empty carboy, but as the carboy filled, it sunk into the box and tipped over, exploding all over my garage floor.

I'm so pissed at myself for making such a stupid mistake. $50 in ingredients and supplies (propane, water, cleaner, etc.), and my entire morning, wasted. For the first 10 minutes after it happened, I just sat in shock. I couldn't believe it had actually happened. Then I slowly got to work picking up tiny shards of glass and spraying sticky wort off my garage floor with the hose.

The lesson here: Always make sure your carboy is sitting on a FIRM support that will not give way under the weight of a full carboy.

I haven't lost a brew day due to hangover, but I have postponed the start time by a few hours due to one. I also did a 3 hour mash once because I fell asleep due to a late night.

Slightly off topic... One time I was smoking a cigar whilst brewing. I guess I was puffing a little too vigorously, because I started spinning really bad. I thought I was going to start hurling. so I shut off the burner and laid down for an hour till the spinning stopped. Then I got up, re-lit the burner, and continued the brew day. Luckily I had just hit hot break and I hadn't added my bittering hops yet. Needless to say I smoke pipes instead of cigars on brew day now. I can lay the pipe down and re-light it vs. trying to keep a stogie lit while tending to brewing.

The brew went perfectly, I was a little low on my gravity (gonna double-mill from now on), and I got it cooled down to 58° F with my plate chiller and my old IC in a cooler of ice water. Unfortunately, I then learned a costly lesson.

I brew in my garage. The floor is concrete. I know better than to set a glass carboy directly on the concrete, I've heard enough horror stories. So I always set my carboy on top of something. This morning, I set it on a little empty box (maybe 6" tall and 12" square), and began siphoning beer into it.

As I was cleaning my plate chiller, it happened. The box was plenty sturdy enough to support an empty carboy, but as the carboy filled, it sunk into the box and tipped over, exploding all over my garage floor.

I'm so pissed at myself for making such a stupid mistake. $50 in ingredients and supplies (propane, water, cleaner, etc.), and my entire morning, wasted. For the first 10 minutes after it happened, I just sat in shock. I couldn't believe it had actually happened. Then I slowly got to work picking up tiny shards of glass and spraying sticky wort off my garage floor with the hose.

The lesson here: Always make sure your carboy is sitting on a FIRM support that will not give way under the weight of a full carboy.

That really sucks! Glad you didn't get hurt by the breaking glass!

Bummer man. That really sucks.

Back