Great beers you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPK

Reaction score
Is there a beer that is consistently held at high regard that you just don't like?

Mine: Anchor Porter

I picked up a sixer of this and took it up to the counter. Another guy came up to the counter with hands full and saw the Anchor Porter and said "Oh, I'm getting that!"

The way the flavors last and transition on my palate are awesome, but there's something about it that just doesn't let me finish a whole bottle of it.

Allaghash white ale is mine. For some reason, that beer just doesn't taste right to me, even though I usually like wits and people seem to love this one. Something about the spice. That's the thing about spices in beer, they can be wonderful or they can absolutely ruin it. It's a very fine line.

Dale's Pale Ale. All I taste is soap. I've read that some people percieve certain hops as tasting soapy, so I guess I'm one of those people for whatever hop they use.

Hate to say this, but I tried a J.W. Lees Harvest Barleywine. Could hardly finish it because I found I so cloyingly sweet.

All Magic Hat: dissapointment after dissapointment.

Most DFH; the 120 comes to mind as especially terrible.

Every New Belgium except 1554. I really like that one.

Yuengling. While it isn't top of the line, so many people talk it up on a consistent basis. I find this absurd. It's not good at all!

Allaghash white ale is mine. For some reason, that beer just doesn't taste right to me, even though I usually like wits and people seem to love this one. Something about the spice. That's the thing about spices in beer, they can be wonderful or they can absolutely ruin it. It's a very fine line.

I didn't care for it either at first but it kinda grew on me, but I am still not a fan of their Double.

+1 to Magic Hat. I've tried probably 8 different brews from them and have diliked every one. I wasn't indifferent to them - I actually disliked every one of them. Especially the green colored green apple brew.

Yuengling. While it isn't top of the line, so many people talk it up on a consistent basis. I find this absurd. It's not good at all!

I agreed with this until very recently. I poured one out of the bottle for the first time at my mother's house about a month ago and it made a huge difference. I kind of liked it even.

I have never had a Belgian beer that I like. There are certain flavors in them that I find very off.

Yuengling - Meh. We have a local beer that is exactly like this. Capital Supper Club
DFH 90/120 IPA If I remember correctly they were too malt forward for my liking

NB's Fat Tire --- just soooo Meh.

For some reason Nugget Nectar and I don't get along either. I so want to love this beer as I love Nugget hops, it's just something about the malt finish that turns me off. Granted I've only had two recently, but didn't enjoy it.

Sothern tier. The best thing I can say abou them is that the oat is pretty decent. I keep trying them thinking the next one will be good and am always let down. I don't know why people keep ordering it. And everyone the gets a ST choklat should be kicked out of the bar on the spot.

And I find pretty much everything from bells to be uninspired. Two hearted is very good, hopslams not bad (much better dipas out there), and the rest us just meh.

bad67z said:
Big Sky's:Moose Drool
New Belgium's: Fat Tire

+1 on the moose drool. I was so excited to try it. For me it was way too thin and the taste was ok at best...

I would add DFH 120. I think it's pretty awful....

Moose Drool is on my list was well. No thanks.

Half of the Boulevard Smokestack Series. Half are outstanding, the others, not so much. The Double Wide and the cherry bourbon barrel come straight to mind.

Deschutes, especially the Mirror Pond and Inversion IPA.

Any IIPA... I like hops, but at the levels of a Bohemian Pilsner or a traditional British Pale Ale... more than that I find un pleasant

+1 to Magic Hat. I've tried probably 8 different brews from them and have diliked every one. I wasn't indifferent to them - I actually disliked every one of them. Especially the green colored green apple brew.

I guess I'd just quibble that I don't see many people referring to Magic Hat as a "great brewery" or mentioning any of their beers as being exceptional. They are what they are; a great marketing company with a couple of very good beers (Roxy Rolles), a few decent ones, and a bunch of drek.

Likewise, Sam Adams Triple Bock, I though was one of the most-despised beers out there. It's horrible, and I know it's not just me!

The one beer that I know a lot of people ADORE that I can't drink is Rodenbach Grand Cru. I like a lot of sour beers, but it's way too much vinegar for me.

I probably wouldn't like most of the best IPAs but that's just because I don't like IPAs.

I felt that way about IPAs as well, and now I drink more IPAs than other styles. I changed my mind when I brewed a Pliny clone for my second brew. MAN, do I love them now! Brewing an IPA just made me appreciate it, I suppose.

I would have to say that DFH 60 wasn't appealing to me, but I'd try it once more to be sure. I also don't like Fat Tire that much, you can keep Yuengling, and Stone's Arrogant Bastard is just too angry for me.

I agree with the previous poster who said Alagash White has a strange flavor. I also like most wits.

Any American version of any style ever has been terrible. I'm starting to think most Americans don't know what good beer is or how to make it. Hopping something so high it numbs your tongue is just stupid and pointless.

Any American version of any style ever has been terrible. I'm starting to think most Americans don't know what good beer is or how to make it. Hopping something so high it numbs your tongue is just stupid and pointless.

That's quite a statement. Brew what you like, drink what you like, don't be a tool.

Sacrilege, I know. Yet true: Pliny the Elder is all hype as far as I'm concerned.

And Anchor Steam always tastes like wet cat to me. I want to love it so badly since it's brewed here but I can't.

Sothern tier. The best thing I can say abou them is that the oat is pretty decent. I keep trying them thinking the next one will be good and am always let down. I don't know why people keep ordering it. And everyone the gets a ST choklat should be kicked out of the bar on the spot.
I've loved pretty much every ST I've had. Solid brewery in my eyes.

The one beer that I know a lot of people ADORE that I can't drink is Rodenbach Grand Cru. I like a lot of sour beers, but it's way too much vinegar for me.
Ditto on the Gran Cru

Delirium Tremens is one for me. I understand it is just because I'm not a Golden Strong fan. Except Gulden Draak!

I got another one that's a little... blasphemous.

oskar_blues_ten_fidy.jpg

Extremely hot and extremely oily. I know it's supposed to be over-the-top, but I hated the mouthfeel.

I also wasn't particularly fond of Gordon Ale, the imperial Red. I love hoppy red ales, so I was really looking forward to it, but it was SO hoppy that it ended up being weirdly... cloying. Not just sweet from the malt (although it's pretty big, too) - the hops almost tasted sweet and cloying, they were so overwhelming. It's like it was so bitter it couldn't become any more bitter, so it rolled through all the way to the side of sweetness.

With that said, other Oskar Blues I've had (especially Dale's Pale), I've absolutely loved. Dale's Pale, in particular, I find to be one of the most balanced, drinkable hoppy pale ales. The other two are just so far out of balance, so big and sweet and sticky, that I just can't drink 'em.

Being that you painted with such a broad brush, I'm pretty confident in saying that if you're serious, the problem is definitely your taste buds.

Sacrilege, I know. Yet true: Pliny the Elder is all hype as far as I'm concerned.

AMEN, brother. Maybe since it's from the west coast I've just never had a really fresh one or something. I will never understand why everyone is so obsessed with Pliny.

Any big Belgian. I'm fine with the blonds, but the higher the ABV, the less likely I'll like it. Not fond of IIPAs in general.

I just thought of another one: Dogfish head "Raisin d'extra". And I'm not talking "it's ok but nothing special" - I'm talking "this stuff makes me want to vomit.". The claim is that it was developed to be the "perfect compliment to a steak dinner". Well, I prefer to complement my steak dinners with something that tastes a little less like urine.

And in general, if it has the word "imperial" in the title, I hate it. I will never understand why everyone is so obsessed with making the biggest beers possible. Never mind the fact that they taste syrupy and hot, they are "imperial", so it's apparently alright that they don't taste good. Most imperial stouts I have drank literally make me sick to my stomach. It's like someone mixed together a cup of coffee and a cup of paint thinner. Here's an idea : how about making beers that taste GOOD, rather than just trying to make everything as big and hoppy as possible?

Being that you painted with such a broad brush, I'm pretty confident in saying that if you're serious, the problem is definitely your taste buds.

Just don't like the extreme bitterness that American brewers tend to put in everything.

Back