Loose hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have always uses pellet hops, but yesterday, I decided to use loose hops. I did'nt notice until after the boil that my brew was full of seeds from the hops. I guess this is normal right? I also lost 1/2 gal of brew because the hops soaked so much up. Should you press the hops to squeez out the wort? I dont think I will use this type again.

I love whole leaf hops, they act has a natural filter bed when pumping my wort thru the chiller and yes I press all the "goodie" out of them once the level in my keggle falls below them.. I don't sweat what few seeds get by. You just have to adjust your pre-boil amount to make up the loss by hop absorption..

If you squeeze the water out of the hops, you'll probably impart some tannins into your wort.

feedthebear said:
If you squeeze the water out of the hops, you'll probably impart some tannins into your wort.

I've heard this elswhere but find it hard to believe - I've just boiled the sh*t out of them for 60 minutes . Anyone aware of any good data that would support this?

I use a mesh bag to contain my loose hops to avoid the increased volume loss and keep the little beggars out of my valves etc as they will clog them when it is least convenient...

When you boil your hops, you are extracting tannins from the leafs. When you squeeze them, you force out more tannins. If you squeeze the hops, you will get more tannin bitterness than if you did not.

Its the same with tea bags. Never squeeze the bag. The tea will taste better if you don't.

Back