Business Idea (part 2 of an earlier post)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpe

Reaction score
First let me say thank you too all those who replied or at least viewed by last thread "homebrewer's profile". The feedback was right in line with what we expected.

The business pitch:

What if there was a place you could go to and brew your beer? We are envisioning a place big enough for 4-6 brew stations from 5 gal to 10 gal batches. Top of the line equipment, cold storage for fermenting lagers, warmer storage for fermenting ales, bottling and keg equipment. We'd have an array of ingredients for you to choose from, bringing your own goods is also welcome.

But you make an appointment, show up, your station is clean and sterilized, you get to brewing, move to primary and your done, no clean up afterward. It would be inventoried while fermenting, we'll babysit it, let you know how its going. We can move to a 2nd or you can come back and do it.

Important that we also visualize this being a place you could hang out. The ambiance would we welcoming for brew fanatics to come brew and hang out for a couple hours afterward. Picture big screen tvs, couches, chairs, etc. Almost like a cigar bar but for brewers, no smoking allowed.

I think it would be great for new comers and those interested in beer in general. Could be a great gift for a guy hard to buy for. Offering classes to those who wanted to learn about brewing. But the continuing customer, the heart of the business, would be the homebrewer.

What do you think? Does it have wings? How much would you pay for the convenience? I'm not sure enough could be charged, per customer, to warrant healthy profits.

Personally, a lot of the enjoyment of brewing is that I'm doing it on my own equipment in my garage. I don't think this would be for me. A guy talked my head off about something similar to this - I think you would do well attracting new brewers and focusing on extracts. Maybe a groupon thing?

I don't know how many (if any) BOP places have done well over the long term. BOP (brew on premises) is a good concept, and I knew of a wine place that did it, but what happens is either the people do it as a lark and then never again or they love it and brew on their own once they feel comfortable. The wine place didn't do well with BOP at all but they maintained their own winery and closed up the BOP.

It's a good idea in many ways, so I hate to be a Debbie Downer. But most homebrewers already have the bug, so you'd have to hit the sweet spot for those interested but without enough space to purchase their own gear.

I suggest contacting U-Brew in Portland. They have a commercial brewery, tap room complete with snacks/sammichs, home brew shop, and u brew. They are just starting out (a year or more in) great people, and neat concept. And, if they can thrive here, with a bagillion home brew shops, its reasonable to say, you can succeed most places. Just my 2 cents

You could get in touch with SBC and talk with them about your ideas as well. They have a BOP...it nearly went under (thought it had already) but their website says they had a last minute save (were bought out) and are up and running again.

Edit: I would actually give it a shot, just to get the chance to brew in some high quality steam kettles with premier brewing equipment. It sounds like a lot of fun, but it would probably be a limited thing...like if my wife bought me a session for my birthday or Christmas. It's not something I would frequent once a month.

A couple years ago my girlfriend bought me a gift certificate at a BOP in Minneapolis. The day after we bottled that beer I bought my home brew kit. This simple gift sparked an obsession. Im from a southern city that does not have a local supply shop or anything home brewing related. I've toyed with the idea of starting a BOP in this southern city. In a city that doesn't have any brewing supplies stores you could capitalize on BOP people and companies as a team building exercise and have a home supply store to get the home brewers business that you create from the BOP business . But a city that has a home brew supply store you need a symbiotic relationship with them. You see the two would be competitors.
This is just some thoughts I had on the idea. The only reason I haven't started is the financing portion. I personally would like you to keep me updated on your progress if you start one. Good luck

I would recommend you open a home brew shop first and then do BOP there. You could have classes for those who are interested in BOP.

This is what has been relatively more successful at other businesses compared to strictly BOP.

Ha, thanks for the feedback fellas. You know I never heard of a BOP, there aren't any in or around Atlanta. I just found something where a guy said that he thought they were illegal in GA. No idea if that's true but explains why I never saw one and throws this idea out the window. Seems like it would work but if the homebrewers in the area don't buy in, it wouldn't stand a chance. Rent and utilities alone would bury you if you didn't have weekly regulars.

Back to the drawing board, what is the brew market missing?

I suggest contacting U-Brew in Portland. They have a commercial brewery, tap room complete with snacks/sammichs, home brew shop, and u brew. They are just starting out (a year or more in) great people, and neat concept. And, if they can thrive here, with a bagillion home brew shops, its reasonable to say, you can succeed most places. Just my 2 cents

Is this the place in Sellwood? I've heard of it but never been there.

I agree with the others that say they enjoy doing it on their own equipment in their own garage/basement/etc. But, you could locate your shop in a large downtown area, and target people who live in an apartment/loft/condo. This way they could easily do AG batches or 10+ gallon batches. Also, you could be a HBS to help bring in business from people who already brew at home.

Good luck whatever route you take!

I second the above post.

If someone could make something like this commercially and make it pretty:

-Peristaltic so that it needs no priming
-High temp due to the silicone hose
-110vac

I feel like you would have many buyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you might think about is teaching "How to Homebrew" classes through your local community education. Where I live the BOP is very popular for wine. They do everything including designing a label. I think the problem with BOP with beer is that it is pretty much a one time deal. Either you start brewing yourself or you don't and give it up. I could see BOP working in a large city with a lot of apartment dwellers where space it at a premium. If you live in a small apartment you probably don't have space for full boils/fermentation control, not to mention storing all the equipment.

That's how I got addicted to homebrewing. My wife took me to a BOP for my birthday one year. It was great, but I've never been back since. I just bought all my own equipment and have been brewing at home for the past six years.

I think the key would be to get licences for brewing/distilling commercially. Once you do, that will drive people to your store. Small 1 barrel "specialty" beer. Create a demend, become the Apple of the beer world. create the best beer the world has ever tasted, then take over the world!!! Seriously, a small 1 barrel brewery with a tasting room would be awesome. offer corny fills/exchanges etc. then when people like your beer you can "help" them make it. Oh and the distilling would be cause you are in georgia and I know folks love their Shine down there lol

I second the above post.

If someone could make something like this commercially and make it pretty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZ15PKkrf8

-Peristaltic so that it needs no priming
-High temp due to the silicone hose
-110vac

I feel like you would have many buyers.

This woudn't be such a bad idea.
Once you have a wroking prototype, you could get the bits mass produced, and just package them up and sell them as a kit to assemble Ikea style :D
Biggest cost would be the motor and VSD/VFD to control the speed (both off the shelf items).

This woudn't be such a bad idea.
Once you have a wroking prototype, you could get the bits mass produced, and just package them up and sell them as a kit to assemble Ikea style :D
Biggest cost would be the motor and VSD/VFD to control the speed (both off the shelf items).

It's a great idea but to manufacture that and at a price point that was comparable to chugger/march you'd have to make it out of cardboard. Even if you could build that pump as seen there for 100.00, that doesn't include the labor to put together the little bits and pieces, pack and ship it. looks to me you'd have to be in the 300.00 range just to make it a viable business. and that is 200% more than a chugger. not to mention you'd probably go through silicone tubing fairly often. great idea and possibly one for the DIY board. But doubt you could make much money from the homebrew community. I know i wouldn't pay 300 for a wooden pump that takes up 5x the room a chugger type does.

Back