Brew Pal mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstaedt

Reaction score
Long time lurker, new poster here and I have a question about Brew Pal. I plugged in Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale from the recipe section, and chose batch/fly option. It has me sparging with 6 gallons of water after a strike of 2 gallons. This seems like an excessive amount of water. what have I done wrong?

Whats the recipe? I can plug it in here, and see what happens.

Could you have accidentally set your mash thickness to some obscenely low number, like .20qt / Lb?

-Jason

It is a 10.5 lb grain bill with 3.5gal dough in. I set the mash thickness at 0.75qt/lb. and the subsequent sparge amount came out at 6 gal. The recipe as written calls for a 4.5 gal sparge.
I've been playing around with this program in preparation for my first all grain brew. OG's and yeast amounts on other recipes I have plugged in seem to differ from the written recipes. Although now that I think of it, does PPG vary among different batches of the same grain. That might account for the OG differences.

OG is dependant on the grain bill and the brewhouse efficiency. If you put the same grain bill into two different tools with different estimated efficiencies you will get different est. OG.

8 gal for a 5 gal batch is a bit large, you won't have that much boil-off unless you have a large diameter BK and one heck of a burner. I usually expect about 2gal boil off in 60min.

OK, I set my grain depth at @ 1.25qts/lb which gives me a 3.3gal strike amount and 4.7gal sparge. In the mash/sparge settings it is estimating a system loss of 0.25gal and a grain absorption rate of 0.13gal/lb. So if I'm interpreting it correctly that should give me around 6.5gal in the brew pot.
Thanks for your input.

Back