Sour beer and trub/yeast bed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchthis

Reaction score
I made my first sour a couple of months ago, and racked it after three weeks in the primary. A lot of trub and yeast had fallen out, and fermentation had dramatically slowed. 1.058 OG and was at 1.012 when I racked. Its been a little over a month since I racked, and there is a lot of trub/yeast built up at the bottom again. Should I be worried about this? Should I rack again?

General consensus around here is that you can leave beer on yeast for a lot longer than you've done here. If you plan on aging this for multiple years, you might want to consider racking again at some point (months) down the road. But, you really don't want to get into a cycle of constantly racking the beer every three weeks. You will likely continue to get new trub for at least another couple of months, since yeast is continuing to drop out of suspension.

Does lacto, pedio & brett "flocc" out like yeast does? When people attempt to re-use slurrys of sours, is it similar to when you're using just a straight sacc cake (aside from the initial ratios of bugs & yeast being altered)?

I have read that it is recommended to leave the beer on its trub so that the bugs have a continuous food supply, ie. dead yeast.

I dont believe bacteria "flocculates" (clumps together) but I do believe it drops out of suspenstion at some point and yes you can harvest the slurry to re-use again and start getting your "house" character. As far as ratios I would only use a smaller portion of the harvested slurry and then also pitch some Sacc. along with it.

Back