Immersion Chiller in a Keggle with Pickup Tube - Space Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpetrello

Reaction score
After several successful extract brews in my kitchen, I'm in the midst of upgrading to all grain equipment so I can perform a full boil (and brew outside :)).

I've converted a keg by removing the top and have installed a weldless ball valve and a stainless steel pickup tube:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/inde...word=pickup tube&category_id=0&product_id=157

I'm planning on getting an immersion chiller, but just eyeballing things, I'm wondering how it will fit. I've filled about 6-7 gallons of water in my keg, but were I to submerge a copper coil into my beer, I'm pretty sure the pickup tube would be in the way (leaving several coils hanging out of the beer).

Are there any better options here? I'd prefer an immersion chiller for ease of cleaning/sanitation, and I also don't have a pump, so a CFC or plate chiller is probably out of the question.

For those with keggles and center-mounted pickup tubes, how do you submerge your immersion chiller as much as possible? Also, how do you stabilize your chiller?

I have a keggle with pick-up tube and false bottom so I can strain whole hops out after the boil while draining to the fermenter. My chiller is also made with 70' of 3/8" tubing so I have enough height to cool 10+ gallon boils. When I do 5 gallon boils, there is about half of the chiller exposed above the wort and the chiller just sits on top of the pick-up tube. It always leans over to one side of the kettle and this is not a problem. The chiller does not need to be below the wort level to do it's job. Just place it in the hot wort 10 minutes prior to the end of the boil and the steam will sanitize the exposed coils.

Also, I know this is probably overkill, but I always have a 5 gallon bucket of starsan mixed for brew day and put my chiller in the bucket to soak for 20 minutes or so before putting it in the wort. Starsan takes all of the oxidation off of the copper coils and it's bright and shiny clean when it goes in to cool. My chiller came from N.B. and is the XL model. A little big but does a great job on any size boil.

Nuggethead,

For your average 5 gallon boil, how long (on average) does it take your immersion chiller to cool the batch (with half of the coils out)? Do you pump pre-chilled water through the chiller, or just ground water?

I run cold tap water through an RV hose. A 6 gallon post boil amount takes no more than 15 minutes to chill to 67F. I am running from my well which is way colder water than a standard city supply.

Back