What kinds of food do you enjoy with your homebrew (recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
When I crack open a beer I always enjoy something to snack on. What are some of your favorite snacks or meals that you enjoy? If your recipe isn't too much of a secret, how about sharing your recipe so we can enjoy it too.

Here's a favorite of mine:

Pickled Eggs
12 Hard Boiled Eggs
1 1/4 c. Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
3/4 c. Water
1/2 c. Sugar
1 tsp. Mustard
1 tsp. Pickling Spice
1 Medium Onion (sliced)
1 tbsp. Salt
Canning jars large enough to hold the 12 eggs

Begin by boiling raw eggs for 15 minutes. Place eggs in ice cold water to cool. Peel eggs and set aside. Mix the rest of the ingredients well and place in a pot on low to medium heat until the onions are tender. Begin placing the eggs in the canning jars and pouring the pickling mix over the eggs being sure the onions get mixed in between the eggs well. After jars are full place the lids on the tops and allow to cool. Refrigerate for 7-10 days. Serve by slicing into 1/4" pieces and placing on a Ritz cracker. A drop of Tabasco on the slices never hurts for an extra kick. Excellent wit da homebrew!!

Not a recipe per se...but:

12oz The Burninator! (barleywine)

2oz+ Point Reyes Blue Cheese

Combine in mouth. Prepare for blown mind.

Coming here from the pickled Egg Discussion...I can't help but post about what my 3 year old son calls KooPickels.
We get a jar of whole dill pickles...Slice each one of them in half, add 1 package of KoolAide (No sugar) and then add sugar, about 1/4 cup to the jar. Replace sliced pickles and set in back of fridge for a week or more.
NOBODY has ever disliked these (Except for SWMBO), and the kids will actually clean their room for one.
I like Black Cherry best, but we've tried all of the flavors. Lime was the worst.

:mug:

BigKahuna said:
Coming here from the pickled Egg Discussion...I can't help but post about what my 3 year old son calls KooPickels.
We get a jar of whole dill pickles...Slice each one of them in half, add 1 package of KoolAide (No sugar) and then add sugar, about 1/4 cup to the jar. Replace sliced pickles and set in back of fridge for a week or more.
NOBODY has ever disliked these (Except for SWMBO), and the kids will actually clean their room for one.
I like Black Cherry best, but we've tried all of the flavors. Lime was the worst.

:mug:

Bizarre. But I might have to try it just because its so strange.

Koo Pickles. Definitely have to try. Me and SWMBO are Pickle freaks. We're like 3 year olds at restaurants trying to steal each others pickles. We won't think twice about a fork to the hand if there's a pickle spear at risk.

On the recipe note:
Not my recipe nor do i have one, but my favorite snack I got at a brew puc was Scottish Eggs. I'm sure there is a recipe online. I've yet to make them myself though. It's a hardboiled egg, wrapped entirely in sausage, the deep fired. Freakin great.

Had a bad exp. with Pickled eggs. When I turned 21 my Brother in law told me to eat one and drink a double of Goldshlager or however you spell it. Disgusting! as far as what I eat with my home brew, I love Brats and Bag sauerkraut.

RICLARK said:
Had a bad exp. with Pickled eggs. When I turned 21 my Brother in law told me to eat one and drink a double of Goldshlager o
I grew up in a town of about 1200 People. We have a bar, where still to this day (10 Years later) the right bar tender will make you a Beau Shot. It will make you walk on water and that's good, cause it's gonna leave you in the toilet if you're not VERY Careful.
1Shot Goldschlager, 1 Shot Crown...In a Rocks Glass...Drink it all at once Big Boy. Ask around...sooner or later you'll meet someone that has done this...and if not, The Big Kahuna recommends it highly. Just make sure you've got a good friend around, Because if you do more than 2, you're gonna need some help! :drunk: :mug:
On the Cool Pickels...Deffinately give it a shot. For the jar of pickels and like 80cents worth of stuff, You can't go wrong.

Here's an easy recipe for what I call texas wings(big a$$ buffalo wings). Buy some chicken legs, or leg quarters if you wanna get really crazy. Drop thawed legs into pan of hot oil and fry about 30 minutes, turning occasionally(a fry-daddy is a great tool for this). After you've cooked all of em up, fill bowl with about a cup of "I can't believe it's not butter" Spray, and a bottle of cholula, and mix well. Pour this over the chicken legs and toss until well coated.

The variations of the sauce are what make this recipe great. I've made this 10 times in the last 12 months and never once made it the same. Adding teriyaki, worcestershire, garlic, tobasco, etc makes for interesting variations. You could also use regular buffalo size wings if you wanna be fancy.

I can't eat too much when I drink beer...I get too bloated and that cuts into the beer consumption.

But I do have a favorite: Bite sized pieces of good cheese wrapped in Proscuitto...aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.

EDIT: yea...it's a wine food but it's sofa king good I don't care.

Any thing that will fit on the grill. i.e. beef tenderloin stuffed with shrimp and swiss cheese (mixed with stuffing). Pork roast glazed with real maple syrup and Gran Marnier. ribs, chicken , marinated lamb.
If it's a cold day and staying inside .... CHILI extra hot ..no beans (ever)

Last night I tossed a couple of ribeyes on the grill which had been dry rubbed w carne asada seasoning and a touch of sugar (for that yummy grilled carmelization), homemade spicy corn and black bean salsa, a warm corn tortilla and a couple of our Mexican lagers. Very refreshing :)

Lazy chicken BBQ to make on those brew days when you're stuck inside without the smoker:
1 package boneless skinless chicken tenders
1 package chicken thighs

lay the tenders out on a piece of aluminum foil. spread BBQ sauce on top. De-bone dark meat and lay it on top of the sauce. Layer more sauce on top. Cover with aluminum foil. Make sure the dark meat is on the _top_ so that the drippings from it help flavor the white meat.

Cook in oven at 275 for 3 hours. Test for doneness with meat thermometer.

Pull apart with a couple of forks (it'll basically dissolve by itself), put on rolls, add BBQ sauce, and eat. Makes ~6 sandwiches.

I only do chicken this way because I rarely eat chicken BBQ so I'm not constantly thinking "this would be so much better smoked".

Chocolate chip cookies are great with dark beer. anything chocolate for that matter, especially the dark kind.

That needs a qualification. I hate chocolate with light tasting beer. However, truffles and stout are fantastic.

Has anyone ever made a beef & guinness (or beef & whatever stout) pie? I had some in Ireland and it was amazing.

^ I have to agree w/ the pizza there. I never liked IPA's until I drank one with pizza, now that is perhaps my favorite food/drink combo.

Anything grilled, anything fried, anything baked and I like a nice IPA or a Pils with sushi.

What? Some style of beer goes with anything.

My favorite combos would have to be
  • an ESB with good fish and chips with malt vinegar
  • Chinese with an IPA
  • wings with a good spritzy lager
  • boiled dinner with a dry stout
  • burgers with an Amber or APA

gods, I'm hungry now....

Here's a recipe I found a while back for pizza dough that uses beer as its base. It comes out great every time if you have a pizza stone.

Beer Batter Oven Pizza Dough Recipe
4 cups unbleached wheat flour
1 ¼ cups beer
1 packet active dry yeast
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg
¼ teaspoon salt

Heat beer to 110 degrees, add yeast and wait 5 minutes to be sure it is activated (foamed). Add olive oil, egg and salt. Mix with a spoon or whisk. In a kitchen mixer, add liquid ingredients over flour and mix on lowest speed using a dough hook for 6 minutes. Increase speed one notch and mix for another 2 minutes. Place mixed dough on lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 2 hours or until double in size. Remove from bowl, cut into 4 equal pieces, form into balls and place on lightly oiled tray. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Each dough ball yields a 14 inch pizza. Dough not used after 2 days can be frozen for up to 3 months.

I have lots of other pizza dough recipes, but I usually stick to this one or my "pour pizza dough" for those lazy "I Want Pizza Now" nights when I don't have time to wait for dough to rise and slap it around.

Pour Man's Pizza
INGREDIENTS
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 2/3 cup milk

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a rimmed pizza pan or baking sheet. In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, oregano and black pepper. Mix in eggs and milk; stir well. Pour batter into prepared pan and tilt until evenly coated. Arrange toppings of choice on top of batter.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is set. Remove crust from oven. Drizzle on pizza sauce and sprinkle on cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Pretty soon I'll be making my own mozzarella to go with my pizza! :ban:

Guinness float - pour over two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't remember where i saw this, but i tried it and loved it.

I had a float with my cherry stout last night. I don't know if it was that I had aged the bottle differently (in my fridge instead of in the cellar) but the fruit was gone and there was more roasty bitterness. Probably because the sweetness couldn't match the ice cream. Either way it was good.

I just had lunch and I'm still hungry from this thread.

Just made my first batch of homemade beef jerky. Here's the recipe I used:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
flank steak
2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup worcestershire
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp red pepper flake
1 tsp liquid smoke

freeze steak until almost frozen solid(about 3 hours)
cut into thin strips, the size of small bacon
soak steak in marinade for 10 hours
bake in oven on lowest setting for 12 hours with oven door propped open
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the thread(with great youtube videos) that got me pumped about making this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/beef-jerky-74797/

Here's the pics that will make you want to make it too:
jerky1.JPG

jerky2.JPG

jerky3.JPG

I'll post pics of the finished product also, cause that's how I roll.

Babybel (Laughing Cow) original cheese bites with any PA or IPA
IPA/Pizza
Sapporo/Sushi
Anything grilled/any beer

Back