need a light fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyweed

Reaction score
Hey all, I am a mead and hard cider brewer, but want to try a beer, as all of my relation drinks beer here. THey all like lighter, fruity beers, like sam adams cherry wheat, Leinies berryweiss, etc etc. I am looking for an extract recipe either DME or LME, i don't care which, but looking for something that isnt a strong, bitter beer, and has nice fruit flavor and aroma.

Any help would be great. Again, I've never brewed a beer before, but want to give it a shot.

Thanks
Dan

Hey all, I am a mead and hard cider brewer, but want to try a beer, as all of my relation drinks beer here. THey all like lighter, fruity beers, like sam adams cherry wheat, Leinies berryweiss, etc etc. I am looking for an extract recipe either DME or LME, i don't care which, but looking for something that isnt a strong, bitter beer, and has nice fruit flavor and aroma.

Any help would be great. Again, I've never brewed a beer before, but want to give it a shot.

Thanks
Dan

Look at the Raspberry Wheat extract kit at www.midwestsupplies.com sounds like what you're looking for.

Judging by the beers you list, I'd just brew up a generic wheat beer and add a fruit extract to it. No need to deal with expensive real fruit if their palates don't mind the artificial flavor of Cherry Wheat and Berry Weiss.

If you want to spend a bit more on real fruit, and your friends and relations wouldn't mind a bit of a more tart, dry beer, here's one that goes over fantastically with my friends:

Raspberry Summer Ale V2:

5 gallons, Extract.

6 lbs light DME
0.5 oz. East Kent Goldings Leaf, 60 min
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings Leaf, 30 min
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings Leaf, 15 min
1 tsp Irish moss, 15 min
WLP001 California Ale yeast

Boil and add hops as per normal (2 gallon boil for 5 gallon batch). Put 1.5 gallons of ice-cold water in your fermenter and then add 2 cans of Oregon raspberry puree (94 oz. total). Add your chilled wort. Add 2 tsp. of pectic enzyme, seal the fermenter, and wait a few (1-8) hours. Pitch yeast. Let ferment in primary (USE A BLOWOFF TUBE!!!) for 3-4 weeks. FG should be around 1.010 or so (Didn't measure OG, sorry. Should be somewhere around 1.060-1.070, I think). Rack to secondary for a week, or leave in primary a bit longer, to allow to drop bright. Bottle or keg as you normally do, but be careful if bottle-carbonating. You'll lose a lot to trub and sediment from the fruit, so make sure to take the reduced volume into account when measuring your priming sugar. I didn't, and now all my bottle are waaaay overcarbed. Incredibly tasty, but overcarbed.

Find a cheap recipe for a blonde ale, add 3lbs of strawberries to a 5 gallon batch in the secondary. enjoy.

Latest posts

Back