what are some versitle hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
I am thinking about placing a good sized order from Freshops.com, but if i'm gonna buy a couple pounds of hops I am going to try and get some that are pretty versitile.

Which hops do you find that you use a lot?

this is really going to depend on what you like to drink, but I bought bulk from hopsdirect.com and selected Cascade, Chinook, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, and EK Goldings.

The chinook is one I like to bitter many things with.
I use the NB and Cascade in my IPA.
I use the fuggles and goldings in mosy of my english style ales (porter, brown, esb, etc)

:off: I bought mine from hopsdirect.com, which I think is a better deal freshops b/c hopsdirect sends you WAY more than you actually order... each 'pound' ordered weighed about 1.5 pounds on the scale.

-walker

Walker-san said:
this is really going to depend on what you like to drink, but I bought bulk from hopsdirect.com and selected Cascade, Chinook, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, and EK Goldings.

I use the fuggles and goldings in mosy of my english style ales (porter, brown, esb, etc)

:off: I bought mine from hopsdirect.com, which I think is a better deal freshops b/c hopsdirect sends you WAY more than you actually order... each 'pound' ordered weighed about 1.5 pounds on the scale.

-walker

yeah it does depend on style... but I like to brew just about every style out there :)

thanks for the tip, i'll check out hopsdirect!

How long would you say hops stay good if frozen?

Walker-san said:

-walker

Holy crap!!!!!

HopsDirect is a lot cheaper! Like $5.50/lb for chinook and others... Freshops is like $11.50 lb for any hops. Thanks a lot for the tip!

I like using Cascade, so I bought a bunch of organic whole. Almost out. Everything else I buy as needed. just checked out the prices at hopsdirect.com though, and I think I am going to place an order. I have plenty of room in the freezer...

I have to consciously tell myself not to use EK Goldings for everything. My fav hop by a mile.

Latest posts

Back