Can't get wort lower than 75 degrees to add the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMart104

Reaction score
Hell I can't get my wort right now to go below 75 degree to add my yeast. It's too hot over here and i have it in my bath tub right now and it's at 78 degrees. Will this effect it if i throw the yeast in. I'm doing an American Wheat.

How hot is it in your house? Do you have ice in the bathtub? If you do and the surface reading of the wort is 78, go ahead and rack it over and let it sit in the carboy until it's cool enough. If your house is above 75, and you aren't going to control fermentation temps anyway I'd say go ahead and pitch. Below 80 is good enough.

IT's about 78 in my house right now. It's in the tub won't go lower than 77. True got a point about the controled temp. I should stay about 72 usually.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Check around for copper wort chillers. I'd been having the same issue (heat wave lately) and it took over 3 hours to cool the batch before my current one. Took all of 30 minutes to chill my latest and I got a nice cold break as well.

I have an immersion chiller and it strugges to get the wort below 80.....

Cools it really fast down to 100.....

then slows down a lot from 100-80.

I pitch at or anywhere below 80 and haven't had any problems.

Wet a towel and wrap it around the carboy and put a fan on it - normally a 5 degree difference. Results will very but . . . . . . it'll cool it down. Evaporation will suck out heat!

fill the tub with water and add some ice, then wrap the carboy with a towel or put a tshirt on it and aim a fan on it. the ice will cool it down quick, and the towel/fan will help it maintain cooler tempratures.

do a search on "Swamp Cooler" here on the forums

Latest posts

Back